Water bills

This is inspired by the 'energy' thread. Not a question, really - I'm just interested in what other people pay for water. I think I pay a lot (60 pm) but have nothing to compare.

Our situation is slightly complicated in that we're in Scotland and our premises are combined commercial and residential, with one metered supply to both.

So, am I paying a lot, or about average?

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme pretended :

If you are metered, it depends upon what you use plus the inevitable standing charges plus other fixed charges.

All in, we pay £27 pm, metered, but we are charged on our likely usage of 246L per day. Because we use less, around 190L we will end up well in credit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In England, 3-bed semi, only meself, Anglian Water, £8 pcm. Usage runs out over a year at about 13 cu. m. (I have ways of reducing some uses - no, not by not washing or flushing, at least, not totally!).

Reply to
PeterC

Hell's teeth. Two replies, 27 and 8 pcm, compared to my 60 pcm. Having said that, the Scottish system used rateable values, and I cannot do much about that.

Reply to
Graeme

Just me and the wife at my place, South Yorks. On a meter and the annual bill is pushing a grand. I do not know where it goes.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

The dates on my bills are irregular but it seems to be around £120 every

3 months. Thats with Yorkshire water

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Presumably your bill tells you where it goes?

About £34/pcm here - for fresh water in and waste water out (services supplied by different companies here, as it happens). On a meter too, just the two of us.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That seems ludicrously cheap for potable water in a semi arid climate.

Mine is about £20 pcm and as a curiosity since we are on a watershed we get one bill for supply £ 18pcm and a different one for sewage £30 pcm. I think most people have a single bill including both. I feel a bit hard done by that Northumbrian water isn't cheaper than Anglian!

They have some massive reservoirs and no steelworks left to supply.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My Yorkshire water sewage only is about £360/year so you are getting a bargain there - the supply of water to you is effectively free.

Mine is billed as two DD payments six months apart.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It hadn't hit my radar until last week, that water supply seems about to be unbundled from the pipes, in the same was as gas/elec.

3 bed semi in east midlands, Severn Trent, billed on RV basis, £340/year (about half for clean water, half for waste water including rain runoff, no soakaways) as a single occupant I'd undoubtedly be better off with a meter.
Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

That makes me feel better :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Might I point out that pcm might mean Per Cubic Metre or Per Calendar Month, the difference might be rather significant!

Reply to
Chris Green

Am I reading that correctly? 20+18+30 pcm overall, for water supply and disposal?

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Tim Streater writes

We pay ?1083 p.a. for the two of us. We are in England. The sewage plant is in England and we pay Welsh Water for that. The water, I believe, comes from Wales and we pay United Utilities in England for that. UU provide the combined bill that helps maintain the lifestyle of both sets of fat cats.

We are on rv mainly because when, years ago, I rang and asked about meters I was told that there was no way I would be provided with a meter that I could also read myself.

About 2 years ago, I got really angry, sat down and compared what I would pay for a typical amount of metered water p. a. in London compared with what I was paying here. Quite a hard sum, taking in all the standing charges etc for both supply and sewerage.

We are paying about double the London rate.

I remain yours incandescently.

Reply to
Bill

Ah! Yes, I'm reading per calendar month, which I think must be correct as elsewhere I think Martin said he pays 360 per half year or 720 per annum which is what I pay in total, at 60 per calendar month.

Reply to
Graeme

Meter, single occupant, around £24 per month , East anglia, combined water and sewage charge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Detached. 2 bed. 1 person. North Yorks. Metered. per annum: Usage: 23 cu meters; Cost: GBP175 Quarterly bill from Yorks Water (for both waer & sewage). Yorks Water provide water, and pass on sewage payment to United Utilities.

Last time I checked, the rateable value bill would have been about GBP800/year, so I'm happy.

Reply to
Allan

No. My mistake.

I answered about £20 for supply then looked it up and found actuals of £18 & 30 respectively. Seems like we don't get a good deal on either :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

...and in Scotland water is still nationalised, so has no profit on top.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Is not Scottish water still nationalised?

Reply to
Huge