Water bills

That might not work out equally per month though, here they split the annual amount over 8 months, so you only pay from April to November, then you get a 4 month "holiday".

Reply to
Andy Burns

I would have thought a teenager would be done and dusted in two minutes.

Reply to
Max Demian

2 bed semi in Somerset, no meter? rateable value, private drainage so water only: £201 pa.
Reply to
DJC

£60 month for water alone would be equivalent to a super water user in a household of 5

See

SE England My charges for water £41.50 per annum for standing charges plus £1.47 per cubic meter (1000 litres) minus £3.50 per annum for paying by direct debit

Sewage charges are a separate bill but (part) based on metered water consumption

Reply to
alan_m

In England non-metered water is based on rateable value but not metered water. Are you sure that your bills are not based on usage.

My bills are around £12 per month for water alone and approx another £12 per month for sewage.

Reply to
alan_m

Water and waste here in Kent. Different companies for each, but about £70 a month on non-metered.

We have just gone over to a meter, and my estimate is that it's going to go down to about £60 a month.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A sweeping (and thus inaccurate) statement. Water meters are common now, and in the next few years most people will end up with one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

P.S. 5 bedroom terraced house; 2 adults, two semi-trained adults. Mostly baths, not showers.

Reply to
Bob Eager

alan_m expressed precisely :

Water standing charge £23.28 Sewerage standing charge £8.76 Surface water drainage charge £38.92 So £62.21 per year, before any water use is recorded on the meter.

Water is charged at £1.29 per metre Sewerage volume at 95% of metered, £1.61 per metre.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 06/04/2017, Bob Eager supposed :

Which should make for a much fairer system of everyone having to pay for what they use, rather than those using water economically subsidising those who make free use of it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We're reasonably heavy users, but the bill is still going down!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The UK water site suggests that only 40% of households are currently metered.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , alan_m writes

Here (Scotland) the total is based on both. There is a standard charge based on RV, plus usage, so my latest bill for the period 24th Jan to

3rd April this year comprises

Fixed Water Charge 27.40 Volumetric Water Charge 26.27

Fixed Waste Water Charge 26.47 Volumetric Waste Water Charge 43.38

Property Drainage 9.96 Roads Drainage 6.39

Total 139.87

Less DD discounts, net 133.09 for 70 days, so 693.97 for 365 days.

Reply to
Graeme

Talk about money down the drain! You must be flush to afford that.

Reply to
PeterC

Only for businesses so far. It was for big users and is now going to be for, IIRC, something like 10,000 cu.m. p.a. (BICBW on the figure). It'll be some time before it, er, filters down to us. Electricity is reasonable to 'transport'; gas is a bit more difficult; water is damn near impossible without huge costs.

Reply to
PeterC

PeterC wrote on 07/04/2017 :

I don't believe it works that way. Put simply...

The resellers [1] buy an amount in bulk from the producers at a big discount, the end user then pays [1] an amount which allows [1] to make a profit. [1] doesn't need to insert their own gas, electric or water into the system at all, though in some cases they can and do.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No disrespect, but unless you can change supplier, it's not much use to you.

I thought the Tories were massive fans of the free market and competition (only joking, they're no such thing). So where's my selection of water suppliers to choose from ? And sewage processors too, while I'm at it ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes, I know that, but electricity can be 'moved' according to demand and I assume that there's some possibility of balancing demand with gas. If a big user in the SE of England buys from 'Scottish Water' and there's a drought in the SE, 'balancing' would be difficult!

Reply to
PeterC

Oh, I realise I cannot change supplier, but was just interested to know whether what I pay is 'about right' compared to others, and having followed the discussion, it probably is about right.

All part of a bigger picture in that this property is part residential and part commercial, although the commercial part (shop) is no longer used as such, but is still regarded as commercial by the local authority. Question is, do I apply to the LA for conversion of the commercial part to residential, or leave well alone? Many factors involved, including property and contents insurance, council tax, business rates, water rates, electricity supply, not to mention capital gains tax.

Ignoring all other considerations, if I convert to all residential, business rates will no longer apply, but the whole property will be reassessed and probably moved up a band, resulting in additional council tax. However, if I leave as is, no change to council tax, but no business rates payable due to various allowances which apply whether or not the shop is actually trading. On the other hand, all business have been recently revalued so, on paper, I'm saving even more, BUT the current allowances could be withdrawn at any time. That seems unlikely as any withdrawal would apply across the board, not just to one property, and there are politics to consider. Business rates for small businesses are a political hot potato up here, and doubtless elsewhere.

Reply to
Graeme

Do you really just mean water. Some bills also include a sewage charge also based on the water consumption.

Reply to
Michael Chare