Washing machine height problem

Hi,

I'm completely new to DIY, so please try and put up with me.

I've recently moved house into a house that had been renovated by a property developer. When the removals men put the washing machine in the kitchen, it quickly became apparent that it was too high for the space. We have a standard 85cm high washing machine, and there was no appliance in the space when we viewed the property.

I've taken the top off the machine, but this obviously exposes electrics to water, even though it will be under a marble work top. Does anyone have any suggestions to the prolem?

Any help appreciated. Thanks Shane.

Reply to
shaneporter66

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

Have you got laminate floors? Or really posh thick tiles? That's the usual cause.

Happened to me some years ago - so I made a new lid for the dishwasher out of hardboard. Worked fine for ages.

Reply to
Guy King

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Yeh - thick tiles, and also a worktop that is a little low. Don't know who installed the kitchen but they've made a bit of a hash on the height of the worktops. It looks great though!

Not even sure if I'm going to be able to use hardboard. Perhaps a perspex sheet will do. Thing is, I'm not sure how to 'attach' it to the top of the washing machine.

Any ideas? I really am a novice at DIY - not quite Frank Spencer level, but not much better :)

Cheers, Shane.

Guy K> The message

Reply to
shaneporter66

dishwasher

If this is a new build you should have a claim against the developer, as it is not fit for purpose.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No, it's not a new build... think I might have to do some work myself... but the stupidity of the developer is annoying!

Andrew Maws> > thanks for your reply. Yeh - thick tiles, and also a worktop that > is a

Reply to
shaneporter66

Michael Crawford is/was, according to his autobiography, very good at DIY.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

What you want's a worktop like Mum's just had fitted. Goes up and down at the touch of a button. With the sink, too!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Owain contains these words:

In my autobiography I shall be a wit, raconteur and sex-god.

Reply to
Guy King

It's better than hardboard in areas which can be damp or steamy.

Just clean the top edges of the washing machine (usually turned over sheet metal) cabinet and the mating area of the perspex with isopropyl alcohol or similar solvent (Maplins) allow to dry, run a bead of silicon around the top of the washing machine as appropriate. Plonk the Perspex on and allow it to set without being disturbed.

Hey, it's even transparent so you can see if the belt has come off or broken or connections are burnt away.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

use heavy polythene sheeting and gaffer tape then - prettified at the front with a bit of formica edging or similar.

Reply to
Steve Walker

What about checking if the units and worktop are attached to the wall. Then consider jacking up the base units. They usually have adjustable feet. You could use scraps of tiles as packing if needed.

Reply to
John

This'll be a D-I-Y published work I take it? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Concur! Hardboard 'top' -secured with duct tape- and I use the surface for annotating the servicing record; 'pump replaced DD/MM/YY' etc.

I've still got the 'correct' top ... in the garage ... somewhere ... :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The message from Owain contains these words:

Who knows!

Reply to
Guy King

Check with the manufacturer, many offer the option of a slimline top, which is essentially a piece of moulded metal plate which covers perfectly and has the screw holes designed for the job.

Ian Tilley

Reply to
Shrek-the-Ogre

Any 2" wide sticky tape to make sure no water gets in accidently.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks to you all for your help - I've got a few options now.

By the way, I'm a massive fan of 'Some mothers do 'av 'em'

:)

Michael Chare wrote:

Reply to
shaneporter66