Washing Machine Connections

I'll start by saying that when it comes to DIY, I'm something of a disaster!

I've just moved house, and in the property I've moved into, the washing machine connectors are simply taps (bit like you would expect a garden tap to be). Obviously, the connectors for the washing machine will not go onto this.

So, in my wisdom, I went to B&Q and bought a tap adapter. Washing machine connectors screw on perfect, and I can secure the adapter to the tap. However, when I turn the tap on, water comes gushing out to top of the adapter. Now, initially I have thought that perhaps I just need to use a spanner to tighten this up a bit, but then the more I've thought about it, the more I've wondered whether this is going to work at all. If I turn the tap on, presumably it is going to work in the same was at it would do if I attached a garden hose - as in water is going to be constantly running. Whereas, obviously a washing machine only needs the water at certain times, so where would all this water be going.

I realise this all sounds like a really stupid thing to be asking, but I'd be grateful of any help!

Regards

Lee

Reply to
ChillDVDs

The washing machine has an electronic valve that will open as and when it needs hot or cold water.

The water gushing out may be due to the lack of a washer on the pipe from the washing machine.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Reply to
deckertim

There is some type of valve in the washing machine that opens to let in water according to the machine' programme.

What sort of taps are they? There are all sorts of adaptors available.

Also, there a special washing machine taps available, but you would have to change you existing taps. Not very difficult though.

Francis

Reply to
FrancisJK

Thanks to both of you for replying, I will try to get a washer for it, and secure it tightly before trying again. Failing that, I will have the taps replaced (by someone competent!)

Thanks again

Lee

Reply to
ChillDVDs

Where does all the water go when you turn a tap off?

Reply to
Ric

The water stops at the connection on the back of the washing machine. When it wants water it opens the valve. Assuming it's the correct adapter, it probably does just need tightening. Alternatively, take the taps off and fit a pair of small appliance valves. Are the taps feeding anything else?

Reply to
stuart noble

The taps don't feed anything else, so changing them wouldn't cause any particular problems (just the cost of getting someone competent to do it). I'll give it another go tonight and tighten it as much as I can to try again.

Thanks for the help

Lee

Reply to
ChillDVDs

From your description, it sounds as if you have taps with smooth cylindrical (rather than threaded) outlets, and that your adaptors simple clamp onto the taps.

If so, this is a complete waste of time, and will always leak. Get the taps changed for proper washing machine taps with 3/4" BSP threaded outlets. The washing machine hoses will screw securely onto these (with a rubber washer inside the fitting) and won't leak.

As others have said, you can leave these (manual) taps turned on permanently (except when you disconnect the washing machine!) because the washing machine itself has electrically operated taps inside which turn the water on and off as required by the wash programme.

Reply to
Set Square