Washing machine belt ( Ariston)

Has anyone successfully fitted a drive belt on an Ariston washing machine( washer dryer). Its an A 1300 WD?

The machine is several years old but works ( worked) fine until the other day. The back does NOT come off. You have to work through a couple of holes and take just the top off. We have a new belt drive. OH has been trying for two days to fit it. I know on the internet it seems this machine is notorious for being very difficult ( someone described fitting the Ariston as a fete of herculean strength and somewhere else a supplier warns that fitting this belt is very difficult ( would we had known before starting) but has anyone got any tips/ experience for how to get this on?

Otherwise it is beginning to look like a new machine. I know I always seem to have one trouble or another - thats because it does seem as if I do. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
sweetheart

Angle grinder? Seriously, if access is the problem, chop a sufficient piece of the rear panel away to be able to replace the belt. If you can see down from above after removing the top panel, you can be sure not to slice the innards. As you have the new belt, fitting it takes 5 minutes maximum once you have access.

Reply to
Part Timer

It'll take much less time to slash your hand open on the new cut edge.

NT

Reply to
NT

It'll take much less time to slash your hand open on the new cut edge.

Angle grinder seriously - Yes, that is what he has done! I have a kitchen floor full of fine iron filings, a stink of hot cut iron and the back of the machine in pieces on the floor and the back is like an opened tin BUT he got the belt on the wheel and now HE THINKS I should be grateful and think he is wonderful.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking he has ruined the machine?.

He did all of this whilst I was out getting a new machine and now he tells me I have to cancel the order for the new machine because he has fixed the old one.

Reply to
sweetheart

Yay, well done OH. Sounds like he's solved the problem and saved you a few hundred quid - given your attitude towards spending money that's got to be a good thing surely?

What problems do you see the hole causing? Would a screwed or pop-riveted on plate alleviate them?

Sounds like you moved a bit too fast - despite saying you didn't want to spend money, you've done so before eliminating all other options.

Reply to
Clive George

a) he knew I was getting a new machine b) if he wanted to fix the problem that way, yesterday was the day to do it instead of spending the say swearing at me. c) maybe you think a washing machine with a hole in the back with razor sharp edges is fine. I don't.

I got a Miele by the way after all of you telling me. I didn't pay that much. Only £700 because it was " ex display" ( not used just out of the showroom.) and I got a full free delivery, free uplift of the old machine ( which I cant do now because its dangerous).

All in all I though I had done pretty well when I got there and saw they had this machine on offer. Now I am stuck with an old one with a hole in the back.

Reply to
sweetheart

Most washing machines I've seen spend their life with their back against a wall, so yes, a hole would be fine. And no comment about my suggestion for a screwed or pop-riveted on plate?

Reply to
Clive George

No, he thinks a piece of cardboard and masking tape is OK - and I have to do it.

Reply to
sweetheart

He is in fact right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not so sure - I would use duct tape.

Reply to
Geo

Gorilla Tape is the dog's nuts.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Isn't an Ariston the one where there's no inner frame, and the only strength for the machine comes from the case acting as a monocoque - which is why you can't take the panels off. One of these with a hole cut in the back my no longer be strong enough anyway.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

New car every three years and a Miele?

My sympathy is away over the bridge with the goats.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It does sound like hes being sensible and youre not. Sorry.

NT

Reply to
NT