Washbasin repair?

I have a white ceramic washbasin that's perfect except for a chip through the glaze where some clown has dropped a heavy object on it.

The chip is about 2mm square and maybe 1.5mm deep. It's about 100mm left of the plug hole, so would be below the water line.

AFAIK there are at least a couple of products that claim to be able to repair this kind of damage.

e.g.

?ProductDetail=78378Does anyone have any experience of using these or similar?

Can they really achieve an "invisible" repair?

Does the repair last?

Is filling then painting rather than just filling more appropriate for a chip this size?

Or would repairing it be a waste of time?

Reply to
Nick

In message , Nick writes

What shade of white is your basin, what shade of white is the stuff you are repairing it with ?

White is not necessarily white - is the answer to that question

Reply to
geoff

Yes these things work fine and really hide the chip, if done well. However over time they yellow (say 5 years) and really stand out, at least the ones below water level.

When we snagged out new house the bathroom sink was chipped both by the plug hole and behind a tap so we complained. They fixed with white resin, wasn't really visible, but my brother, being a building inspector, rejected again and finally they changed the sink. The old sink went went to a club, where after a couple of years the resin by the plug yellowed. The resin behind the tap is still white.

Also they filled some dented chipboard built into fitted kitchen units, again rejected as they resin filled. I recently came to cut up some of this board for some bodging and the resin they used was really obvious now 5 years later. So glad it still wasn't fitted.

Reply to
Ian_m