Wood panel repair

I am looking for some ideas on repairing or hiding a large hole in some paneling.

Hole is about 8 x 12 inches.

Paneling is no longer made.

Hole is not in between studs.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hang a picture

Make a doggie door

Install a faux register grill

Put a bookcase in front of it

Replace paneling

Reply to
dadiOH

These go with everything.

Stormin Mormon

So, there's a stud running down the "middle" of the hole (i.e., a portion of the hole between the studs to the left of it and another portion of the hole between the studs to the right)?

Where is the hole (in terms of its relationship to your living space? Basement? Living room, etc.?

Where *in* that space: up at the ceiling? crammed in a corner? down at the floor? etc.

What's on the other side of that space? Why aren't you asking about how to "patch" THAT side?

[I.e., it would have been helpful if you'd indicated what WAS in that hole, before, so folks could better visualize the problem.]
Reply to
Don Y

Living room right at eye level.

Re-read my post.

Wood was in the hole. :-)

I was not asked to patch the other side, which is in another room anyway.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Not a repair kind of person ?

:-)

Reply to
Andy

If it is high enough, a mirror or picture can cover it. If on the floor, make a doggie door. Depending on what room it is in, put an appliance in front of it. Wine cooler or beer keg.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Your responses to the answers and suggestions that people took the time to write seem a little "snarky" to me (not sure if that is the right word, but you get the idea).

You wrote that you were looking for ideas on "repairing or hiding" the hole in the paneling.

You wrote that the hole is not in between studs, so presumably there is a stud running down inside the hole area.

You wrote that they don't make that paneling anymore.

Maybe it would help in understanding your question and knowing what you actually have there if you could post a photo or two.

But, hey, based on what you wrote, you could probably patch the hole with any similar thickness piece of paneling (even though it doesn't match exactly), and attach the repair piece to the existing stud. Before doing that, you could probably put a "backer piece" behind the hole and glue it to the current paneling from the back. Then, do the repair piece, attach that to the stud, and glue that to the backer piece.

That's the "repairing" part.

Then, since it won't match the existing paneling, hang an eye level picture, painting, mirror, etc. over the "repair".

That will be the "hiding" part.

Good luck.

Reply to
TomR

I read the post.

It says nothing about "living room", nor "eye level".

"HVAC duct", "wall safe", "supply register", "return register", "electrical sub-panel", etc. "Wood" provides no information about the nature or location of the hole.

Reply to
Don Y

Paint ; wallpaper ; Bo Derek poster ; or maybe this ..

Always glad to help ... John T.

hubops

Eye level sitting or standing? I think that's about it. I wonder How the hole got there?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I am, actually, but I have to know what it is that needs repair..."paneling" doesn't cut it :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Not much to go on. What kind of paneling is it exactly? They don't make that kind, but do they make one that is a lighter color and could be stained to match? If so, maybe replace one panel? Can't say how to match it with no info.

Reply to
trader_4

Remove remaining paneling -- to expand the UNDERSIZED HOLE!!

Reply to
Don Y

In the early days of NASA, they spent tens of millions of dollars developing a special ball point pen that the first astronauts could use in the weightlessness of orbital flight to make notes on a yellow pad.

The Russkies gave each cosmonaut a box of #2 pencils and a pocket sharpener like kindergarten kids use...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

If the hole is 8x12", and *NOT* between studs, then the entire wall has to be made of studs.

Your post makes no sense!

Reply to
Paintedcow

How exactly do you figure that, an 8x12 hole will easily fit in studs

16" on center
Reply to
FrozenNorth

His does, yours does not. In the 8" opening there is a stud someplace. Wgy do you find that strnge?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Paneling is painted.

I will cut out hole to a uniform rectangular size and fill in with wood of the same thickness.

And finish by painting it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Prime the repair, patch it twice then paint. It will be gone.

Reply to
Gary