Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether. Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Well if its heat glue would it not soften when hot water was in the basin? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Epoxy. Hot glue would be hopeless.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Epoxy - 'Milliput' is excellent fir this - and possibly a hair drier or heat gun...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become. You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and it works really well.

Cursitor Doom

Michael Chare expressed precisely :

Epoxy, the 24 hour setting stuff. It will give you time to position it and the 24 hour stuff produces a stronger bond.

Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken the parts correctly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Cursitor Doom wrote on 18/10/2020 :

Would that work on a chipped pressed steel white enamelled bath?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Go on! blow *seven quid* & report back!

Reply to
Jimk

It happens that Jimk formulated :

A pointless exercise, expending time and money on something which might prove not be suitable. However, has it has now been confirmed to be suitable for the job (thanks TNP), I have ordered a pack.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Fingers crossed then...

speculate to accumulate...

Reply to
Jimk

What sort of basin?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It might also go all soft if you fill the basin with hot water :O

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Thank you for all the replies. It will just be a temporary fix until I can completely refurbish the bathroom. The biggest problem will be replacing the iron soil pipe outside which passes up throught the soffit and the roof.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Its quite hard using hot glue on large bits of metal I find - they conduct the heat away too quickly, and also are not easy surfaces to bond to.

Reply to
John Rumm

[repost - first appeared to get lost, however apologies for duplicates if you see them!]

Set in 20 seconds, and form a strong bond that can be separated relatively easily if required[1].

So when gluing paper / card etc or fabric to timber, you can glue and move on very quickly.

Also massively useful in a workshop I find, for things like fixing drawer fronts - a dab of hot melt at each end - push it into the right place and hold for a few secs, you can now remove/open the draw and drill / screw though without risk of the position slipping. Or just fixing a template to something before marking or routing round it. Same when fixing hinges on boxes - a dab of glue to allow you to position, but then open the hinge while it stays in place so you can mark / screw etc.

(hot paint scraper slid between parts, or freezer spay and a sharp tap)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1
Reply to
newshound

If you could get the basin off & into a large oven, an epoxy repair might even be somewhat permanent, long as it gets heated & cooled slowly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr