HELP Crack in brand new TV case - Best way to hide the repair ????

Hi, I have just bought a new TV (32" SONY Wega widescreen) and it unfortunately suffered a small accident when it was being carried through our door when a small piece of the silver coloured plastic casing, just below the screen, got broken off. We effected a repair using cyano-acrilate superglue to replace the cracked-off piece but the join is very noticeable as the line of the crack is a darker color (a black line) than the rest of the silver coloured chassis.

I would be interested to learn what the best technique would be to disguise the crack. I would have though that there must be a product (perhaps a paint or lacquer) that could be applied to the crack to match the color of the casing material and make the crack invisible by filling it with the appropriate color.

All advice willingly received....

Thanks in advance

Steve Harvey

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Reply to
Steve Harvey

This has to be a very common thing. I've witness case cracking on a 35" just trying to position it on the stand. It broke under its own weight. My

25" was broken by the store somewhere along the line.

Live with it.

cyano-acrilate

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

On 1/24/2005 6:52 PM US(ET), Steve Harvey took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

You can go to a hobby store and pick up some Testor's model paint in silver color. There is also a silver paste that can be used to cover the crack and then buffed. It is more of a hard wax than a paint, though.

Reply to
willshak

does it lend itself to making the whole bottom piece black? Mask and spray. Use flat black to make it all blend as a shadow line. I would think that it would blend better than trying to match silver.

DanG

You could try a mettalic silver colored Sharpie first. It's fairly close to Sony silver.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Those are heavy brutes, I will never know why Sony never moulded decent hand grips into the base. The ones they do have cut into your fingers. Even worse is a Philips 32" flat tube, they have nothing to grip them with. Your fingers start slipping as soon as you try to pick it up. I have resorted to strapping Sony and Philips to a two wheel cart so that there is a metal frame to hold onto and wheels for flat areas.

cyano-acrilate

Reply to
Eric Tonks

That's why.

Large-screen TVs are not supposed to be man-portable, they're supposed to be moved using dollys. If they put hand-grips on them, that would imply that they *WERE* man-portable, and then they'd be liable when you broke your fool neck trying to carry the the damn thing up the stairs.

You are a member of a tool-using species. Act like it.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

It sounds great but without handholds it is risky to even lift onto a dolly or up onto a stand. At least Sony provided a rudimentary grip for your fingers to dig into, Philips has next to nothing.

Reply to
Eric Tonks