VW Generators

Yup, pretty much any of the modern condensers are at that level of performance. And note that is the SEDBUK seasonally adjusted performance figure that looks at a more real world usage than the perfect "in the lab" figures the manufacturers themselves might rather tout. If you push the boat out with weather compensation, proportional controls etc then you can get into the mid 90s.

Have a look at some of the more modern models here:

(the efficiencies quoted are using the gross calorific values)

It would certainly be nice to reduce electrical usage, but whether it makes sense long term is a different matter.

For certain values of "will". I agree that is it far more likely to coincide with natural demand cycles than say solar or wind, however it will not be an exact correlation (e.g. warmer than expected winter day, popular program on TV etc). That means you still ultimately can't rely on it being there when its needed, and will need backup generation capability to cope with when its not.

No indeed, and I was playing devil's advocate.

However you could see a creep in that direction where perhaps the "boiler" becomes an electrical generator first, and a home heater second. The electrical generation capability being controlled remotely which along with automated demand reduction some might consider to be an alternative to actually getting on with the job of generating the energy required.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which non-existent thorium reactors are these?

I have no idea what the final cost will be and niether does anyone else because they have no idea how to dispose of nuclear waste. If you had read the link I posted you would see what a cockup ot all is and the lies that has been told. Here you are again.

As they are 99.9% glass and aluminium there will be no dispoal problems

Once manufactured, no pollution is created. Virually no maintenance is needed.; There are no parasitic losses.

Reply to
harryagain

You ARE full of crap aren't you? Cadmium is not used in current PV panels but might be in future.

Cadmium is not mined, it is a by product of zinc production. So it will be with us regardless.

All coloured glass BTW is filled with heavy metals. As are uPVC window frames, household paints etc etc.

Reply to
harryagain

Yeah Yeah. Every industrialised country in the world is turning to renewable energy but our dozey Den knows better.

Reply to
harryagain

And no leccy when the air pressure is the same across the land and not a lot of power at night otherwise excellent thingies;))!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

What about those nuclear nasty frogs and the yanks?...

Reply to
tony sayer

He hasn't worked out yet that having to run fossil fuelled stations in their most inefficient mode all the time to even out the massive variations in renewable energy sources causes pollution. Unless he's of the opinion that all energy usage can be shut off during the hours of darkness and when the wind's not blowing. So, we'll all start going to bed at sunset and get up at sunrise, no evening TV or radio, no radio alarm clocks, food spoiling more quickly in storage due to unstable temperatures in fridges and so on and on and on....

Reply to
John Williamson

It *is* used in some current panels. If you're going to spout rubbish, at least make it up to date rubbish.

They contain 93 tonnes of cadmium per gigawatt of rated output, all of which will have to be safely dealt with in a generation or so. As they are more efficient and cheaper to make than silicon cells, their take up and manufacture will probably only be limited by the supply of tellurium, which is about as common as platinum.

Reply to
John Williamson

They'll go the way of the Germans and start burning coal again before too long. The Yanks are already burning vast quantities of hydrocarbons obtained from oils shale using what is alleged to be a very polluting process to make up their shortfall.

Reply to
John Williamson

You do talk some drivel You haven't worked out that PV is only part of the solution and any supplimentary (fossil/gas) power will not come from come from cnventional power stations as we have today.

And power will be more expensive in times of dearth and non-essential stuff will be shut off.

I see the wholesale price of gas has gone up 5% as I predicted. And that's just for a few threats.

Reply to
harryagain

In both cases nuclear power is being run down.

Don't you see the news?

Obama is also shutting down coal power too

Reply to
harryagain

Full of crap as usual. Is your head permanently up your arse? Don't you follow any current events?

harryagain

So where *will* it come from? Bear in mind that small fossil fuel stations are normally less efficient than large ones.

PV is a small part of the solution, as is wind. Tidal power is severely constrained in the UK by geography, as is hydro.

Because we've not built enough capacity to replace the old, worn out stuff.

The price of hydrocarbons has very little to do with production costs and demand, and a great deal to do with politics. It has been this way for decades.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes, they're going to be burning oil from oil shale instead of coal. Oddly enough, that's what I just wrote. The *Germans* are the ones who are burning more coal now to make up for the lack of nuclear power caused by the FUD after Fukushima.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

So where O wise one will it come from then?.

Realistic real world answers please?...

You remember the three day week well then;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

Yes olde Barrack is going the shut down some coal plants but what's he going to replace them with then?.

Seems you and he have about as much real world idea as each other...

Reply to
tony sayer

Let alone what the Chinese are getting up to...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

Really, where does it say that exactly the only reason why its not rolling out as quickly as they'd like is the cost has gone up ..

And stupid uninformed knee jerk reactions to Fukushima..

Yes renowned for thinking things thru is Barwack..

Reply to
tony sayer

Gas predominately - they have suddenly found themselves sitting on massive reserves of the stuff that they either did not even know were there, or though were impossible to extract.

Reply to
John Rumm

We are ideally situated for tidal power with lots of large river estuarys with some of the highest tidal ranges in the world. There is plenty of scope for micro hydro which is included in the FIT scheme. Even the Queen has one. There were once thousands of water mills in the UK, all sites could be converted. Also existing hydro could be boosted by refillling the dams by pumping when there is surplus wind energy.

Get your head out of your arse. Politcs will always play apart but the additional factor is the increasing cost of fossil fuel as it becomes harder to find and extract. Eg we are now talking about fracking. When these nutters ISIS take over Saudi/even start their bothers there, there will be WW3 and massive price hikes/shortages..

Just wait 'til the public finds out about coal bed gas extraction. The NIMBYs have no idea.

Coming to a place near you. (If you're particularly unlucky)

We need independent energy sources, but renewables are the only one that last forever. And don't result in your house falling down.

Reply to
harryagain