Virgin Cable - go to SH3 in modem mode or stay with SH in modem mode?

This was their "Hitron" router IIRC - not sure if its the same as the SH3. It is supposed to be a business class router but seems to lack any features that might be useful to businesses. (VPN termination etc)

I saw suggestion toward the end of last year that a software upgrade was supposed to fix the issue. Not sure if its been rolled out yet though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks but the VM Hub got the better of me, and I could not get to it after changing to modem mode using either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1. Further more the new router's IP was changed to 192.168.1.1 due to a conflict of IP addresses, which is outside the range of VM's IP addresses.

Reply to
RobH

Further more the new router's IP was changed to 192.168.1.1 due to a conflict of IP addresses, which is outside the range of VM's IP addresses.

Reply to
RobH

I envy you guys who have the HUB 3 working ok on 192.168.100.1, as mine will not change its' ip address. Well I it say won't change, it changes to something when the light goes to purple, but I can't access it from either the old IP address or the new one.

Reply to
RobH

I think I may have ended up with a real person because I couldn't remember my phone password.

I have enough trouble remembering web passwords but when you phone up once ever 10 years or so.....I think it was 2007 when we set up the contract so

10 years is probably about right.

So; pro tip - "forget" your password and you can talk to a real person.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Allegedly going into trial at the moment although information is a bit thin on the ground.

View is that it can mitigate some of the issues but the underlying design precludes a cure.

I may hold out for a SH4 (supposedly due in a year or so) or switch to the SH3 if there is enough evidence of benefit.

Gong from 160 Mb/sec to 200 Mb/sec isn't going to be life changing. Short term (ms) delays are likely to be far more significant in overall performance.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

If you don't know what IP your hub is now set to, you can reset it back to router mode using the following instructions:

Then you can try again to set it to modem mode.

Reply to
Graham Nye

I have3 actually tried to set the HUB 3 to modem mode 3 or maybe 4 times over a couple of days, only to end up at the same place: purple light and not accessible on either the default ip or the new ip addresses

Reply to
RobH

Mine did that first time.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

You could try connecting it to a computer running Wireshark and the NIC on the computer set to promiscuous mode. Then see what packets (and from what address) are floating about. May need to send some broadcast packets if nothing happens.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Note that if you stick it in modem mode it won't act as a DHCP server any more. So you may have difficulty browsing to the new IP address if your PC is still on the old subnet. You can fix that by either manually assigning a new address in the same range as the new on on the router, or by adding a route to tell your machine to treat the new address of the route as something that is on your lan rather than something it should be trying to pass out to the default gateway.

Reply to
John Rumm

I regularly use Colasoft MAC Scanner. It's free and will tell you any machine connected to your network.

If you don't see your router, then it's not connected or on a different network.

The trouble with Wireshark, and I'm a great fan of it, is there will be a lot of confusing traffic for those not versed with network traffic.

Reply to
Fredxx