Virgin Cable - go to SH3 in modem mode or stay with SH in modem mode?

Cross posted to try and include all the usual suspects.

I am upgrading my Tivo to the latest model.

The pack includes an SH3 (I assume put in there automatically because I still have the original SH).

Allegedly the SH maxes out at 160 Mb/sec (seems reasonable, it provides that speed now) but the SH3 can go to 200 Mb/sec (within the package I pay for) or even 300 Mb/sec should I feel the need to burn money.

I know that there are known issues with the Intel Puma 6 chipset in the SH3.

Argh! Initial research has pointed me to this class action suit which names Arris. Who make the new(ish) Virgin TV V6 box.

Murphy's law may be about to rear its ugly head.

Anyhoo - anyone running the SH3 in modem mode without any problems at speeds up to 200 Mb/sec?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Note: always find something extra just after I have posted.

"The previous STB: Cisco, Samsung, Pace et al had embedded CableModem[*] (typically with DOCSIS1 connection and upstream bandwidth sufficient for

Reply to
David

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have a SH3 (assuming that's the latest) in modem mode on 100MBit (I think) and a V6 box, it is all fine. Had problems at setup due to the engineer not activating the Tivo services on my account properly, but once that was sorted, it's been fine.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Reply to
David

Can I ask you if, when you put the HUB3 into modem mode, were you able to get back into it by its' new IP address: 192.168.100.1 I have tried it and when I try to configure my new cable router, it says that there is a conflict of ip addresses, ie 192.168.0.1. This is for the new cable router, but because the HUB3 has the same ip 192.168.0.1 , there is a conflict, and the HUB 3 hasn't changed its' ip address.

Reply to
RobH

When we leave, the removal of the ability to program the TiVo by website will be the tipping factor.

No, I don't want your - or anyone elses - shitty "app".

"I call 'app' Britain ..."

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think so, though it has to be said the first time I tried it seemed to get stuck halfway through making the change. I power-cycled and tried again. I'll check it later and post my findings.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Disconnect your router from the VM hub. Connect a computer via a RJ-45 Ethernet cable directly to the hub (port 1, at least on earlier hubs). Let the computer pick up an IP address from the hub (reboot it or issue the appropriate commands[1]) and use that to set the VM hub to modem mode.

Then you can reconnect your own router to the VM hub and connect the computer back to the router, if applicable (resetting both of their IP address as required).

Don't try configuring routers, etc over wifi as one hiccup will lock you out until you can make a wired connection.

Some malware will look for a home router on 192.168.0.1 so you might want to bump that address as well.

[1] On a Windows box, run a command prompt as administrator and use these commands:

ipconfig /release ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /renew

Reply to
Graham Nye

Yes, I am with no problems. I get about 110 down and about 5 up.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean here:

and use that to set the VM hub to modem mode.

Do you mean the 1 computer to set Hub into Modem Mode

Reply to
RobH

Yes. Disconnect your router from the VM hub. Connect a computer using a wired Ethernet (RJ-45) cable to the VM hub. Use a browser on that computer to set the VM hub to modem mode.

Hub setup is described at:

Once you've done that successfully the VM hub will remember it is in modem mode. Now you can reconnect your router to the VM hub. (I don't have a hub 3 but on earlier models only port 1 was active in modem mode so you may need to use that.) You can also reconnect your computer to wherever it was connected before (presumably to your router).

Your router and computer may need new IP addresses when you reconnect them. The easy way is to reboot them, or switch them off and on again.

Reply to
Graham Nye

I can access my SH1 in modem mode at 192.168.100.1 through my router at

192.168.0.1.

I did wonder about this, but it worked.

Thinking on it, I assume that anything not intended for the internal LAN get shoved out onto the WAN and the SH gets first dibs. So it responds to

192.168.100.1.

Yep - just checked it and it works.

So, as suggested downstream, your SH probably hasn't switched into modem mode and changed its internal IP address.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I've confirmed it- accessing the SH in modem mode on 192.168.100.1 works fine.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Ditto, that works fine with my SH3 in modem mode.

Any news on the Intel Puma firmware stuff?

Reply to
Chris Ridd

It would be interesting to know if they have fixed the modem mode issues that were affecting their business customers - basically you can't have (working) modem mode and static IP... Had to revert to dynamic IP for one customer, since the Virgin "business" router is so feeble, you have to run with a real router in front of it to get anything useful, and then that means modem mode on the supplied one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Then you were fortunate because I tried only activating only the V6 and Virgin killed my SH2 and won't reactivate it either. Unless you are big into competitive online gaming it's not really the issue it's been hyped into. I have a SH3 in modem mode with an Asus router, not really seen any issues that would be down to the modem.

Reply to
Lee

I had a helpful guy when I rang to do the activation.

He asked if I wanted the SH3 activated and I said that I didn't want everything to go off at once, and could he just activate the TV for the moment.

He was fine with that.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

With regard to the router being feeble, there is an enormously long thread on the Virgin support forum about SH3 problems.

One user posted ping statistics between his PC and the SH3 via direct Ethernet connection and the response times were far slower than for my SH1 in modem mode.

I suggested switching to modem mode and getting a decent router. If the SH3 can't even handle packets because it is doing it in software not hardware then asking it to also run as a full blown router may well be a very big ask.

No idea about the static IP thing, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Ah, so my mistake was using the automated line to do the activation.

In fairness, apart from the messy looking latency graph it doesn't seem to be as big an issue as it's being suggested to be.

I am not into online FPS gaming though ... :)

Reply to
Lee