Vinyl flooring on a step?

Looking at new bathroom flooring; some sort of vinyl... slight problem in that the room is on two levels (bit of an unusual house!) so there's a 7" high, 6-foot long step along the full length of the room; basically like a plinth which the bath sits on.

How do you apply vinyl flooring to a step like this? Is there a particularly good type to use? I'm sure the likes of Amtico would have a good method... We enquired at the local vinyl/carpet warehouse and they just said "er... suppose you'd bend it over the edge and use lots of glue" Don't think so.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster" wrote | How do you apply vinyl flooring to a step like this? ... | We enquired at the local vinyl/carpet warehouse and | they just said "er... suppose you'd bend it over the edge | and use lots of glue" Don't think so.

In the concave between the lower floor and the riser, put a 45-45-90 triangular fillet of wood, so the lower floor vinyl makes two 45 bends up to the riser rather than a sharp crease. Lay the upper floor vinyl separately. On the edge of the step use a separate nosing which should be a contrasting non-slip edge for safety. A piece of plastic right-angle might do at a pinch, but ensure it is screwed and glued down safely.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Find a professional installer - they can heat weld a bead along seams to seal them. This system is used in commercial installations, including joining sheet vinyl on a flat surface - look for a single colour line on patterned vinyl. My experience in a school suggests that it is durable.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Thanks - good idea!

Now... again, sounds good, but where would I get some 'plastic right angle'? I know exactly what you mean; I can visualise it - but what application would it be sold for/as?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster" wrote | > On the edge of the step use a separate nosing which should be a | > contrasting non-slip edge for safety. A piece of plastic right-angle | > might do at a pinch, but ensure it is screwed and glued down safely. | Now... again, sounds good, but where would I get some 'plastic right | angle'? I know exactly what you mean; I can visualise it - but what | application would it be sold for/as?

Stair nosing for vinyl floors :-) from a commercial vinyl floor supplier.

Otherwise the sort of place that sells extrusions for double glazing etc?

Owain

Reply to
Owain