TV Licences revisited

ISTR that the issue of TV licences causes strong feelings in here, so this may stir the pot a bit....

There's been a clarification that if you buy one of the proposed mobile phones that can receive digital TV broadcasts, you'll need a TV licence for it:

makes sense logically -- it's as much an apparatus capable of receiving broadcast television as a TV card in the PC is -- but I expect there'll be a lot of screaming about this.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

ISTR one's home licence covers portable battery powered devices owned by the family and temporarily out of the home (students living away from parent's home not counting as temporary). If this is still true, such devices would already be covered.

(But it was a good new thread for rants :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Bzzzt! Wrong! Students are covered if using battery powered receiver. See

"Aren't I covered by my parents' licence while I'm away?

No. Unless your TV is powered by internal batteries, such as a pocket-sized TV. "

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On 20 Jan 2005, Bob Mannix wrote

-snip-

Yes -- the main group to be affected will be people like students or kids who have just moved away from home, who get such a phone but don't realise they'll need a TV licence for it.

I thought so, too..... ;)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Yes, but most people use the national grid to recharge their phones, they don't just replace the batteries.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It's not a rant, call me old fashioned etc., etc.

...........BUT

who the sweet fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc* would want to watch television on a mobile phone?

A phone, mobile or other is a phone (not a camera, not a tv). A TV, portable or other is a TV.

We are seriously in need of help !!

Reply to
keng

You'll be over 20, then?

Reply to
Huge

And have something more than Custard for brains......

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Not as a replacement for a TV, more as a radio that you can peer at when something interesting happens.

While a 28" TV has a much better screen, it's going to attract really odd looks if you're carrying it round town.

Occasionally, even a 1.8" picture can be preferable to no picture at all.

It's not about sitting down to watch TV on it.

It's about "It's 4:30PM, I'm stuck on this chair untill the bus arrives in half an hour, what have I got in my pockets to entertain me.".

Reply to
Ian Stirling

There was a time when people made their own entertainment...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

arrives

Reply to
manatbandq

Oops, and no I wasn't tying to be smutty ! :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes, I was trying to be smutty

Reply to
manatbandq

My first thought (afraid to say) was "you'll get arrested for that"!

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

In message , Harvey Van Sickle writes

... If you don't have a TV licence at home

Reply to
raden

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Well, at least nobody made "one ring" jokes.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

...or if you do, but you also have someone else at home using a television at the same time as you're using the battery-operated portable (ISTR this isn't allowed - you would need a second licence for the premises on which you're operating the portable. Which would be interesting if you're mobile at the time.)

David

Reply to
David McNeish

Yes but you can get arrested for that if you do it sitting on a chair until the bus arrives. And which bus driver wants a sticky fare...

The only bell you should be pushing on a bus journey is the one when you want to get off.

Reply to
Googolplex