Vice jaw replacement compatability

Hi All I have several big & old Engineer's vices and want to whittle down 'the collection'. One is a Record No. 3 (4") vice which I'd like to keep, partly for sentimental reasons (it belonged to my late father).

There is a small chip at the corner of one of the jaws. I see that you can get replacement jaws of an alternative make (eg Irwin), but I've seen nothing about compatability.

Any clues if it is possible to put the Irwin Jaws on a Record vice?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Irwin bought Record, so there's a good chance they're just the same.

Otherwise live with the chip.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I didn't know that - thanks.

either that, or I can swap jaws between vices (TBC). It depends what I want to end up with...

Thanks J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

You don't need a new jaw. Fix the chip with electric weld and smooth with Angle Grinder. There are special hard welding rods for this sort of thing.

Reply to
harry

And the assumptions this makes are [left as an exercise to the reader] ...

Reply to
jkn

Takes a lot of skill because they are hard... :-)

Reply to
polygonum