Walking poles, peat hags and basket cases

I posted this to uk.rec.walking but, on second thoughts, here is probably a good place.

I decided to replace my walking poles, but now find I can't get a suitable basket for them, despite checking that alternative ones were available :-(

They are Leki and came with 50 mm 'trekking' baskets, and my old ones were 80 mm (only just enough for peat hags). Leki make an

80 mm, but their new one has lots of holes and notches and is intended for snow. Just perfect for catching on heather :-(

I could make some out of thin wood, but getting 200 mm x 100 mm of 2-3 mm marine ply ain't easy, oil-bound hardboard would need annual replacement, I can't think of a suitable rubberoid, and I can't find anything much on the net. I can find some 65 mm, which would be something, but not good.

The ideal would be some rubberoid/plasticy stuff 2 mm thick, stiff but flexible, and reasonably durable.

Has anyone any ideas?

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

Don't really understand the geometry, but I just bought a couple of "clip" frames for posters off eBay. The "glazing" seems to me to be more flexible than polycarbonate (certainly much more flexible than hardboard) and is about 2 mm thick. 100 x 70 cm was about £18.

Not sure if it would be as tough as 3 mm polycarbonate glazing sheet (which is pretty strong and tough).

Reply to
newshound

I can sympathise, though I try to plan my mountain walking to avoid peat hags; it is remarkable how much detail you can get off the Google Earth pictures now.

I know what you are talking about but until I get a flash of inspiration, can I suggest you post this query on the Scottishhills or Munromagic website forums.

Actually now I think about it why don't you get a pair of the 80mm Leki ones and bung up the holes with the likes of Shoo-goo. There's various other options for achieving the same end result with these.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Ikea:

"DRÄLLA Bendable chopping board, green, red £2 / 2 pack Article Number :

501.531.23"

2 mm polyethylene, and reasonably priced.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

and you can tell port from starboard :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed, which is needed with modern poles :-) This sounds an excellent idea!

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1