very small springs from?

Anyone know where I can get some small (compression) springs from (eg ~2mm diam x 10mm long)? I'm trying to repair a few locks that use them. I see a kit of springs on ebay but they are too large. Thanks

Reply to
dave

The message from dave contains these words:

My local car shop has little dangly blisterpacks, one of which has tiddly springs.

Reply to
Guy King

Been using these for years...good firm!

retep

Generally worthwhile asking the seller if they've got smaller oned.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Wind your own either from piano wire (model shop) for stiffies,or from guitar strings (very fine soft action springs, like ball point pens)

The technique is to get summat like a cordless drill in a vice, with e.g. a 1.6/2mm drill mounted backwards, but a 90 degree bend in the wire end and poke that down the chuck and maintain tension, set it going slowly..

If teh spring is to be used in compression, pre stretch it, If you want dead flat ends use a dremel or bench grinder to set them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's a neat idea - think I'll try it just for the fun :) Actually I do happen to have an old set of guitar strings somewhere.

Reply to
dave