Very small quantity of sand and cement needed

Is there a problem with salt? Would you have to rinse that out very carefully?

Reply to
GB

Garden centres also have small amounts of sand, for potting mixes.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Ask the builders of Eilean Donan Castle.

(The answer's "yes", BTW. It was built using beach sand.)

Reply to
Huge

I'd never heard of that, but I was thinking of the mundic problem.

Reply to
GB

Ooh, a new word! Thank you!!

Reply to
Huge

Should have used Roman concrete.

Can't think why it's not bagged and on sale in Wickes by now ;)

Reply to
Robin

The Pantheon is still going strong after nearly a couple of thousand years!

Reply to
GB

Buy a big bag of sand from Wickes or somewhere (£1.60). What you don't use either save or spread on the garden or put in the dustbin.

Why faff about?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

ITYM the Parthenon....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't recall seeing many bags of cement at the beach. Can you not still get those little bags of ready missed from the sheds any more? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

roman-concrete-1.22231

I don't think so. The Parthenon is in Greece. We were talking about Romans. The Pantheon is in Rome.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought you couldn't build with 'beach sand'? Mind you I suppose for VERY small quantities it won't really matter.

With sand being so cheap would buying a wee bag[1] from Screwfix or Toolstation or even B&Q (other consumer/semi pro outlets are available) not be an option.

Reply to
soup

Pinch it from the jumbo bags that TP and Wickes tend to have at their entrance.

Or the sandbags that workmen use to stop their 'men at work' signs blowing away in the wind.

PS Has anyone noticed all those coffee-cup shaped adverts for Costa and other coffee-machines that are appearing outside most tescos and other retail outlets ?.

Inside are 16 house bricks, the ones with holes through them (not frogs) slid over metal tubes to weight it down.

Just in case anyone is desperate for some facing bricks and everywhere is shut.

Reply to
Andrew

An unfortunate typo, Brian

Reply to
Andrew

I knew the old reference to fool's gold, but didn't know it had a modern meaning.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

One of my kids spent a year there, from his photos the countryside was fairly sandy.

Reply to
newshound