Very OT - what is your "sod it" purchase limit?

Some respected names of the past are effectively own-brand stuff. Brand names are bought and sold and used as a badge on no-name far east items.

Reply to
alan_m

Ah - Bunnings - the firm that lost millions when trying to get into the UK market. They filled the stores with Barbeques in the run up to Christmas.

Reply to
charles

Nope - wrong size and shape.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

well as I said and I don't think anyone actually believed me, my investments are returning about 30%-40% pa and that's what I spend tome on. Ok it probably wont last - but Donald trump and then the democrats,. Brexit and covid 19 have been massively good for certain parts of the global market and that's where I am.

pick any five from the top 30...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

24.99p
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

If I saved £150 quid on my gas bill I'd be phoning the police, because I don't have gas!

I could probably save £150 on my oil bill by wearing a vest and a double jumper and gloves for a month

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I get a large loyalty and no claims bonus, I pay about £250 a year. I think my car tax costs more

Last time I tried to get quotes at best I could knock £20 off that

well yes, so on my whatever it is £100 a month electricity bill I will save £10

Big f****ng deal

I do check that oil prices aren't through the roof, but again its small money to be saved. there is a market price for oil and a few percent only is available

I guess if I worked hard at it I might save £500 a year: Out of around £20,000 it cost me to be in this house eating well and warm. My big costs are the mortgage, the council tax, the car, the house insurance and general maintenance that has to be done. Fuel, electricity and food are pretty trivial compared with those...

I have enough money to stay here until I am too gaga to run the place and then I'll sell the half that I have left and move somewhere warm with cheap servants :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

half my total bill

Reply to
tim...

on the odd occasions I have tried such up market supermarket meals

couldn't tell the bleeding difference

Reply to
tim...

Lidl is the one we use most and just a ten minute walk away. It is co-located with a Home Bargains, both quite new and a much older Tesco. We generally prefer the Lidl offerings, only going in the others when we cannot find something in Lidl.

Do you live on beans on toast?

At a rough check - Our food purchases represent around 35% of our regular bill spend each month. G + E + W, C Tax, broadband phone.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

tim... submitted this idea :

No, I saved £150 off my dual fuel bill, for this year.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

No. I have a massive mortgage thanks to the ex, and a massive council tax bill, a lot of maintenance thanks to the ex, a massive oil bill thanks to the size of the house..

£3500 a year on food is not a big ticket item £18,000 a year on a mortgage is....

You lucky man

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It happens that The Natural Philosopher formulated :

Ouch, my sympathy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The Natural Philosopher pretended :

£220-ish per year, via a national broker. Always the best quote from them by a large margin, but when it does creep up, I just suggest to them that they find another, better quote for me. They have never failed to find better.

Strangely, everyone I have recommended to the broker, has found them to be the highest quote for themselves.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Adrian Caspersz expressed precisely :

Does your calculation include the long drive there and back to collect the Harrods sandwich? It might take me many hours of driving..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I was running out of all my screw sizes. There was a selection for £20 on Amazon. I dont know how many screws there were, but is was about three times the number I was expecting. Bargain. Then I started using them. They are difficult to start, then the metal is that soft if the screw is 2 inch or more it will probably get the corners rounded before driven home. I got so pissed off mid job I came into the house and ordered some boxes of Spax screws online. Expensive. I get such a sense of satisfaction from putting in the good screws the extra is worth it.

Reply to
misterroy

I had a work colleague whose cat would only eat fish from Harrods

Reply to
charles

That's what you find when the main ingredient is salt :)

Reply to
alan_m

Well that demonstrates how bad the rest of their product line is.

Would he eat pasta from Marks and Sparks?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher