Ventilating my PC in a cupboard

Remove the existing fans and fit larger quieter ones on the outside of the case (with suitable ducting)? Make a baffled box and line it with sound-absorbing material?

Reply to
Rob Morley

If the butyl is buried in plaster/stone and there is nothing flammable nearby you could run a separate earth wire instead of using the one in the butyl. This is almost certainly Frowned Upon though it would confirm the problem is in the butyl wire.

As far as running a new T&E wire goes, it could go the least risky way rather than the most direct way.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

No trips since the landing skt was partly unscrewed & refitted, the electrician re-arranged the wires slightly - respacing them.

Chimney breast is double - gas fire capability on both sides, so there are gas pipes on both sides and the usual lead of 1960s :-)

Plan of action is thus 2 stage replacement: o Landing skt - disconnect butyl-radial, so skt on just PVC-T&E-ring o Other butyl - when breakfast room redecorated all easily redone

Only thing I need to check in advance is the latest IEE regs on cable routing w.r.t. distance from room edges/floor/ceiling/skirting etc. I'm sure TLC used to list a pici, but don't seem to anymore.

Thanks.

Reply to
dorothy

It's pretty straightforward.

You can run cables buried in plaster etc. at any depth as long as they go vertically or horizontally from a wiring accessory. If for some bizarre reason you wanted to route differently in the middle of a wall then you must either protect the cable with a serious protecting plate (grounded) and not thin trunk, or bury at > 50mm

You can run cables in a band up to 150mm out from the top of a wall or from a corner, but not from a floor.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi,

Sounds good, I suppose butyl can absorb damp after a long while.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Great, thanks for that - the OSG was out at the library :-)

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury