Vegans 40pc more likely to suffer bone fractures.

<snip>

+1000

Ditto aspirins 'on prescription'

Reply to
Andrew

When I read the subject line I came up with a different assumption.

Reply to
R D S

They have four stomachs though, and have you seen what happens when a lactating cow gets short of magnesium ?. It's called staggers. Highland coows seem to be particularly able to live outside all year round, even in the north of frigid-land and survive on a rubbishy diet, so bovines in general must be genetically resistant to osteo-porosis. This could of course be down to the fact that they tend not live to 90+, unlike other big mammals like elephants. :-)

Reply to
Andrew
<snip>

A link on there did though:

"Calcium

Calcium is essential for bone health, along with weight bearing exercise and a healthy diet. An adult requires approximately 700mg per day. Dairy foods are rich in calcium but if you are not eating these make sure you obtain calcium from other sources like fortified plant based dairy alternatives, dried fruit e.g. figs, nuts such as almonds, leafy green vegetables, red kidney beans, sesame seeds, tahini and tofu to lower your risk of bone fractures."

"Good sources of calcium for vegans include:

green, leafy vegetables ? such as broccoli, cabbage and okra, but not spinach fortified unsweetened soya, rice and oat drinks calcium-set tofu sesame seeds and tahini pulses brown and white bread (in the UK, calcium is added to white and brown flour by law) dried fruit, such as raisins, prunes, figs and dried apricots"

Typically, yes.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Given that calcium is added to bread and plant-milk, and is naturally in broccoli and cabbage, and in sesame seeds and pulses, I wonder why vegans are reported to have more bone fractures. It sounds as if some vegans have very restricted diets if they suffer more fractures which *presumably* are caused by a lack of sufficient calcium in the diet.

Of course, not everyone likes green leaf/stalk veg such as broccoli and cabbage - I loathe all green veg except for celery which I love (but it's the only veg that my wife hates) and have to force myself to eat it because it is good for me and it's socially acceptable, rather than because it is in any way tolerable or pleasurable.

Reply to
NY

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

... and loads more ...

That's the thing, most of these 'studies' are later proven to be flawed.

We *know* that many people (inc non-vegans) have very restricted diets, and bad diets in general but no one seems to be bothered about those?

Nope, the are caused (the article suggests) by less fat cushioning the fall, a fact that is likely to be a bigger problem to the peoples health than a fractured hip.

The thing is, it's not always about what you like or don't, it's doing what's best for you and 'us'.

Quite, and remember we make many foods, especially meats taste better by processing them or adding vegetation (herbs) to them. ;-)

IDGAF about that. ;-)

Like wearing a seat belt, safety helmet / goggles / mask, taking exercise or not taking risks?

It's all down to mindset.

I aim to reduce the suffering and exploitation of animals, when and wherever possible.

I eat a variety of food that fits in with the above.

The end. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Quite, if they didn't get a bolt gun to the head (if they are 'lucky'(?)) and their throats cut when they are 1/25 of their natural lives.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or in the wild, have their entrails ripped out from the rear by packs of wolves, hyenas, wild dogs etc

Reply to
Andrew

Yup, as is quite right by nature.

And if it wasn't, they would either overpopulate a given area and die out from starvation or become over predated and die out ... except for millions of years that didn't happen (or happen that much). And there was a good reason for that ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Stand by for T i m ' s long list of fortified foods and dietary supplements that make the vegan diet a perfectly natural and healthy one.

Reply to
Spike

ROFL

Cite a handful, then.

Reply to
Spike

You make it seem like management by man is better all round for animals, and as we're at the top of the food chain...why let them go to waste?

Source?

...you were making it up.

Reply to
Spike

Do vegans suffer from iodine deficiency in parts of the country where it's absent from drinking water, as most people get it from milk as the cows are fed it?

Reply to
Max Demian

Ah, the resort to abuse. The classic way to end a lost argument.

It didn't take long.

Reply to
Fredxx

And we are natural beings, following a wholesome natural diet. If you cut out an important part of the diet, such as meat and animal products it can only be detrimental to our bodies and our state of mind. B12 deficiencies are a good case for eating meat.

Reply to
Fredxx

Do you deny the outcome of the study?

There is no guilt in following a wholesome natural diet. What I do see is jealousy our loved ones allow us to eat meat.

Reply to
Fredxx

The body is a complex organism. Who knows why calcium absorption is enhanced by eating meat and meat products.

Sometime it is useful to compare with vegetarians as they often show less of the failing traits shown by vegans in these studies.

Reply to
Fredxx

Maybe meat eaters have a better developed corpus callosum so the concept of left- and right- brainers is meaningless.

Reply to
Max Demian
<snip>

If they had they would have a more balanced view on 'life' and realise that what they are doing isn't 'right'.

And no-one in their right mind would accept that the pain and suffering we inflict on trillions of animals every year is either right or (therefore) justified.

As will be (is being) proven and sooner than some realise.

It's doesn't take much for good people who hadn't realised what they were doing to make simple changes to the benefit of many (including themselves, physically and morally).

It's all down to education of those with minds open and unselfish enough to be educated.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m