VCR in line with TV Aerial

Just back from an elederly friend's home - he was saying he struggles to get all the Freeview channels.

On reflection, I realise that he still has a VCR in the aerial line and I am wondering if this may be degrading the signal slightly.

Instinct tells me he should connect the TV directly to the wall plate. Is it likely to make any difference?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Probably got a misaligned, wrong band, or old cable connected aerial.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

No, doubt its causing a problem unless its faulty. The question is has he ever had good freeview reception or is he on a transmitter that does not transmit all the channels, some especially the smaller relay stations don't.

Can you say where he is ay all and what his serving transmitter is a close by postcode would be a good start?..

Reply to
tony sayer

That depends on the video, where the aerial is and whether the video is always plugged in. Why does he need the video connected to any aerial, none of the videos will pick anything up in any case, they were all analogue. If he still wants to use it then he needs a set top box. The issue is easy to test, simply connect the wall plate to the tv and see if it is OK, if still no good its the aerial in the comunal system or his own depending on where that plate goes to. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Quite likely.

The UHF modulator in the VCR may be close to or even exactly on the frequency of one of the DTT multiplexes.

As the tuner in the VCR will be analogue and therefore redundant, there is no point in daisy-chaining, use a SCART cable instead.

Truth be told, even when analogue was still being transmitted, there were better ways of distributing the aerial signal than daisy-chaining RF leads.

Reply to
Graham.

It could be that he has the VCR modulator set to the same or adjacent transmitter channel number.

Reply to
alan

He moved recently - communal aerial -building work still being done - probably had it connected by well-meaning removal man. He is 20 miles away. I will try and convince him to try removing VCR from chain but expect he will have a techno-reluctance!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

As he's just moved he could well have moved into an area that doesn't have the full set of MUX's.

Does "struggles" mean that all channels are there in the EPG but viewing is degraded. Or does it mean that no amount of retuning finds them at all?

The move may mean that the VCR's modulator is too close to a channel now used by a MUX and it's interfering. If he still want's to use the VCR connect it via SCART and connect the telly direct to the aerial socket on the wall. I'm don't know how a set top box will help him use the VCR as some one else posted.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If he has moved, then the current installation may be pointing t a different transmitter, so it would be wise to do a retune, possibly even a factory default and tune on the TV.

Reply to
Toby

Brian said that, and he is quite correct, if they still had a need to

*record* DTT to tape.

The SCART of an analogue TV would normally output baseband video and audio of the programme being watched, but do DTT sets do that? I doubt they do. Perhaps they just output the noise or blue screen of the analogue tuner.

Reply to
Graham.

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

I retuned it yesterday - some channels are still missing. It was only after I got home I realised he no longer needs to be looped into the VCR which is on a SCART. He is 81.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

Best line of attack is,

Ask the neighbours, and most won't mind the query, is their TV OK and do they get all the new Channels.

If yes then a fault with his Digital box or possible that the VCR is parked on a TV channel in fact you can take it out of the aerial line now anyway as its doing nothing of use.

Check the flylead that goes from the wall plate to the TV.

That should give us a good indication of the problem. Also a post code a nearby one if security is an issue and take a photo of the TV aerial and note which way its pointing and put on a pix sharing site and I reckon we can get this sorted!...

Reply to
tony sayer

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA1FD6AC471F20johnplant90ntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

His transmitter (stanton Moor) is a Freeview Light transmitter!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

Ah!, thats not a lot of cop then;(...

Freesat perhaps ;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , tony sayer writes

Good idea, I set that up for an elderly rellie some time ago but wasn't sure whether they would get on with the potentially less user friendly UI. Started off with a cheap and basic box but she got on with it so well that we upgraded to a Humax Foxsat HDR and she hasn't looked back.

81, pah, a youngster :-)
Reply to
fred