Varnish not drying

I recently varnished a sign (indoors) with some international yacht varnish.

2 days later the varnish is still tacky. The pot says that the varnish should be dry within 4 hours. The wood is an old kitchen door (American Oak). I did not strip the original coat of varnish, just sanded it down to provide a key.

Any ideas why the drying time is soo long?

I have noticed this problem in the past with other projects, where the first coat always seems to take longer...

Any way of speeding up the drying?

TIA Colin

Reply to
Colin

Presumably you stirred it thoroughly before starting?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had a similar problem when using some varnish I'd bought from B&Q. I'd painstakingly stripped a framed and many paneled bureau with paint stripper and various scrapers. After washing, drying and rubbing over with wire wool, I applied the varnish. A month later it was still slightly tacky to the touch. I was quite miffed to get this result after all the work I'd put in. I covered it with a dust sheet for a couple of months more , after which it became serviceable. I don't know what the cause was. I wanted to blame B&Q but never became sufficiently convinced.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I did this - painted a table with yacht varnish and it never dried. I was told that proper yacht varnish doesn't dry properly, so that the deck of the boat doesn't get slippy. I've no idea whether that was true. I ended up stripping it and starting again with a proper interior varnish.

ROSIE

Reply to
Rosie

Probably "trapped" solvents. If too much is applied in one coat, the surface dries prematurely and stops the solvents evaporating from the rest of the film.

Reply to
stuart noble

Nearly dry... I'll give it another few days...

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Sometimes wiping over with appropriate thinners will cure this problem.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

just give it a week or 2, and use more suitable varnish next time.

Reply to
N. Thornton

Ultraviolet light will accelerate the 'drying' (really polmerisation) of varnish. Sunlight is a free source of ultraviolet, but it's absorbed by glass.

Reply to
Jan Wysocki

Not much chance of sunlight here over the next few days :-)

Thanks for the tip.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

No, yacht varnish should always dry properly. The main reasons why varnish doesn't dry are:

- Failing to stir it properly

- applying it too thick - varnish needs lots of thin layers and time to dry in between

- applying it over an incompatible substrate - a previous coating that it reacts to

- wrong temperature - too cold or too hot. Too hot sets the skin too quickly and slows down evaporation of the solvent

- too much humidity (which sometimes causes a white bloom to appear)

Roland Mann Jenny Painting Systems

Reply to
Roland Mann

Don't want to depress you but we have some stairs with varnish which has not dried fully and we've waited a year. Vim taking it back to bare wood was the remedy. We found the tin in the shed with the lid off - the surface of the varnish had not even skinned. I suspect a bad batch or, more likely, the previous owner contaminated the tin with cooking oil or something! Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

diffused skylight contains just as much UV. Glass windows block it though.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I've never had much luck sunbathing under a parasol, let alone sunbathing on a cloudy day :)))

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

uv photosensitive pcb works fine on cloudy days. NO suntan doesnt mean no uv, just means not as much as in summer.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Spar varnish (the real stuff anyway, which most isn't) is intended to remain flexible in service. It does "dry", but dry isn't especially hard and it's much less than glossy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley