value?

IME, yes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Didn't seize as you were going along throwing the car into a skid ?

Which is what I was told could happen if a stone got into the CV joint. Sounded bollocks then, and bollocks now.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have saved quite a few engines* by carefully turning via the crank pulley, or using the gears and moving the car. Mr Dad always insisted on turning a suspect engine over by hand first.

*Usually when other mechanics thought they had successfully changed the twin cam timing belt, but asked us to check "because it's Italian". Invariably they had it wrong.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced timing belt.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A few moths ago the van pulled suddenly to the left on the M-Way. It did this just as I was crossing a raised intersection in high winds and I put it down to the wind.

There was nothing else until I got to Ponds Forge roundabout in Sheffield and all the ball bearings fellout leaving me stranded in the middle of the roundabout.

Reply to
ARW

This is I suppose why the little rubber gaiters are an MOT item.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

1? 8? In this case it makes little difference. The thing is scrap. Weigh it in and buy a proper car.
Reply to
Huge
[...]

No, it isn't. The result in terms of the potential value of the car, which is what the OP asked, is however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You posted something about Fiat vans a while back. It seemed heart-felt. :)

Reply to
GB

Well that's where I heard the warning :) Are there still shit mechanics using shitty cable ties to "fasten" them up ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

ISTR the larger vans all share bodypans and suspension components ? Would that include CV joints ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'd argue it has a remarkably similar effect on the value of the car :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It could be on my old Rover. The air intake is right down at the bottom of the engine bay to get the coldest air.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But your observation is as irrelevant as Jethro's with regard to answering MY question.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well yes, but it goes no way towards answering the question I asked.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

New fuel pump (that nearly set on fire 3 weeks later as the mechanic was shit), new EGV (twice but the second mechanic was shit and swapped a brand new EGV for a new one that was not needed), new CV joint (twice as the replacement lasted 4 weeks), new clutch (lot's of meat on it but a spring broke), cutting out on me on the M62, cutting out on me on the A1M, new battery, new drivers door lock (and new tools at just over a grand), complete replacement of wishbone arms (both sides), respray down the LHS (I let the apprentice drive it that day), new internal blower etc

Oh and the glove box fell out of the dashboard today.

Reply to
ARW

You asked:

'A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?'

I replied:

'No, it isn't.'

How on earth is that an irrelevant answer?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Because that isn't the original question that I asked. Try reading the thread properly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow!