value?

It's not that difficult to remove the plugs on even a car with COP. Suck out any water from the cylinders with a small hose etc (a cheap oil changing pump even better), inject some oil and spin over with the starter

- plugs still out.

If DIY, costs zero to try.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The question being answered "A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?"

If there was an original unanswered question, then perhaps it's best not to ask another.

Reply to
Fredxx

As long as it spins on the starter motor, there is no serious problem. Water is not likely to get past the air cleaner Probably just got water in the ignition somewhere. Start by looking at the HT side.

Reply to
harry

In decades past, when ignition systems weren't well protected, there were always cars stuck in flood waters because water had got on the ignition and the plugs and distributor were wet. The early minis were particularly prone to conking out, as the plugs and distributor were right out front and caught everything. As Harry says, check the HT leads, the plugs and the distributor first before taking drastic action.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wrote:

A bad idea for sure without removing the plugs but would a starter  motor have enough power to do more damage?

Tim

You replied:

#I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced  timing belt.#

Can you not see how that doesn't answer my question?

As to not asking another question, why in the hell not when it's relevant to the thread and the OPs actions?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I imagine it would depend on the state of the engine when the starter kicked in - if it picked up some momentum before locking then it might bend a rod, but if the hydro-lock was pretty much instantaneous then I doubt it. And if the water-full cylinder was on the exhaust stroke then no harm done.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Except things have moved on, where the coilpack is concentric and sealed to the plug.

In the OP's case, damage is likely, and I can't recommending spinning on a starter without removing the plugs.

Reply to
Fredxx

FFS give it a rest. No-one cares.

Reply to
Huge

Replacements FIATs whilst mine was in for repair were just as good.

  1. Wing mirror fell off when I pressed the automatic "closing" button
  2. Clutch failed (this one had 30K on the clock, at least mine did 175K before the clutch spring failed)
  3. RHS had a full respray (a woman tried to park her car next to it)
  4. Wheel bearing was just about to collapse so I refused to drive it
  5. Alternator failed
Reply to
ARW

+1.

I'm current evaluating how I use my computer, and for what purposes. In the new year, I think sadly it might be time to jump the sinking HMS Usenet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well it might be if I could see the plugs, looks like the are round the back beneath the air filter hose and a load of other gubbins. And it's freezing cold and raining. I might take a look in a few days.

Reply to
DJC

I do. It was a reasonable question. If you don't know the answer what was the point of your reply?

More signal, less noise would be nice.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Facebook's no better.

Reply to
Huge

Oh, indeed.

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

But perhaps the majority of cars are COP these days. So all the ignition bits as high up as anything on the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From some perspectives, several orders of magnitude worse.

Closed FB groups can be OK, especially if you are a mod. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

AFAIAC, the only ways in which FB is better than Usenet is the ability to post photos and the fact that "everyone" is there. In all other respects it sucks donkey dick down a 20ft garden hose. Even with the amount of ad blocking I use.

I have very mixed views about moderation. (Depending on whether I've looked at uk.radio.amateur lately!) Most mods need to wind their necks in.

Reply to
Huge

I have one closed FB group. It excludes everyone from work.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That reminds me of a particularly wet drive on the M1 in a new-to-me Mini that kept cutting out. It emerged that a previous owner had lost the plastic shield that should have sat between the front grille and the distributor - as soon as I tied a carrier bag in its place the car ran fine.

Reply to
Rob Morley

But what if as a result of the engine getting wet the cam belt had slipped? No, not really.

Reply to
Rob Morley