v for frequency?

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that siemens is the new name for the unit that used to be called mho.

Reply to
NY

I just use f.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's because you're a Merkin and can't name anything correctly. I bet you say counter clockwise!

Pitiful. Standard 240V all over my house, just the one voltage, just the one style of socket, 13 amps at every socket. Over 3kW for any device you can plug in anywhere. I don't need a special circuit for a dryer.

That sounds like what Apple do. Is Leopard or Tiger the newer version of the OS? Who knows?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The Leopard is newer that the Tiger. Oh, you're talking about OSs, not Panzers.

Reply to
rbowman

I've never heard of nu (italic v) being used for frequency in all my O-level, A-level and university electronic engineering studies. Only f or omega, where omega = 2 pi f

omega is called angular frequency.

And, being an elec eng, I use j (rather than i) to denote sqrt(-1), since i tends to be used to denote instantaneous current. I once worked with a guy called Bill Taylor whose initials were J W T (James William Taylor). He was known as "J-Omega".

Reply to
NY

It's generally used for light and frequencies higher than you might design for:

Yes.

The maths element of degrees in the UK have generally been taught by mathematicians who would use 'i'. Most would be then be familiar with the duality of symbols.

Reply to
Fredxx

I use something similar I use Imperial units (Miles, Feet etc) for distances along roads peoples sizes etc, but Metric ( Centimetres Millimetres etc) for scientific/engineering contexts .

Reply to
soup

What are Imperial units????

I was brought up in the MKS and CGS system....

Reply to
SH

v is used in Physics, not electronics. E=hv being the one I can remember. It may be relating the energy in photon to its spectral frequency

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and I remember E = hc / Lambda

so c = lambda x v

where m is the speed of light in ms^-1, Lambda is wavelength in metres and v is the frequency in Hz or s^-1

Reply to
SH

That's a German manufacturing company. WTF was wrong with the mho?

And I think you meant susceptance. You were suspecting it was conducting?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Am 21.03.23 um 01:27 schrieb Commander Kinsey:

No. Wernher von Siemens was one of our pioneers, like Tesla, Marconi, Ohm, Ampère. I was at his grave in Berlin-Kreuzberg. Quite modest. I would have expected more for the founding father of one of the world's most important electrical companies. Like a fresh flower or two.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

In the UK "Imperial Units" refers to miles, feet, pounds, pints and suchlike. Noting that the imperial means British Empire, and the pint is

20 fluid ounces - not 16 as in the US.

I was taught in MKS, but imperial units were still in common use. Which meant that if I put my hand in some water I'd feel 20C, but the air around it would be 68F and I'd have to think to work out which was warmer :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.home, Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

I'm of the same mind about the introduction of 'new' units. While I certainly don't advocate using (say) volts-per-amp instead of ohms, I find myself feeling rather silly when I have to ask, "WTF is a 'Siemen'? If their introduction is not resisted, the possibilities for puzzlement and confusion are endless, eg what could we call a foot-per-second, or a mile-per-hour?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.home, Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

'Cycles' are SO old hat. Doesn't everyone use 'hertz-seconds'?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Siemens are the ones who bribed the EU to pass the renewable obligation, and sponsored the Tory party here. No, they are not a great company, they are just another German arm of the Mafia

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We use Ohm-Siemens "OS" to name dimensionless things.

Reply to
John Larkin

and, I understood, were responsible for the late opening of the Elizabeth Line.

Reply to
charles

What is miles, feet, pounds and pints????

Reply to
SH

Imperial

Reply to