Using heat source to kill weeds

We are invaded by strong weeds from behind a metal fence that we cannot reach.
would an electric hot air weed burner similar to this:
https://www.westfalia.net/shops/gardening/garden_tools/weeding_and_patio_crevice_cleaning_tools/flame_weeding/1509053-_gartenmeister_-hot-air-weedkiller-gmukv-2000.htm?art_nr 3517&gclidIaIQobChMI1a6HiuSm1gIVZZPtCh0KzgmgEAQYBSABEgK3nvD_BwE&utm_medium=1.+SEA&utm_source=Google%C2%A0Adwords+WWC%C2%A0Produktdaten+UK&utm_campaign=Google%C2%A0Adwords+WWC%C2%A0Produktdaten+UK
Would this be a useful kind of thing to fight a war of attrition or just a waste of time?
john west wrote:

£45 would buy a *long* supply of weedkiller
<https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Glyphosate-490/1531026706
On 15/09/2017 09:50, Andy Burns wrote:

I agree. I have an old Sheen weed burner its noisy, smelly, looks impressive, but useless at long term weed eradication. Go buy some Glyphosate.
Mike
And not presumably scorch everything within reach either. I'm in two minds about this sort of thing. To be hot enough it should really burn the things and if you start a fire, you had best be able to stop it, especially if somebody elses property is involved. Brian
--
----- -
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:29:20 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

Actually, no Brian, you don't need to burn them, just cook them. And glyphosate spray can be just as damaging if applied carelessly, for example on a windy day. Plants some distance away from the intended targets can be killed.
--

Chris

You're only supposed to singe them not burn them to a frazzle.
--
bert

On 15/09/17 23:14, bert wrote:

you are supposed to heat the soil to kill seeds
well beyond frazzle
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 01:05:43 +0100, Tjoepstil

Absolutely not! That is not what flame guns are for or how they're supposed to be used. If you use one that way then you're doing it wrongly and wasting a lot of fuel with little benefit.
--

Chris

On 16/09/2017 08:03, Chris Hogg wrote:

As a kid I worked in a market garden where potting soil was sterilised by putting it at the top end of a long slightly inclined tumbler drum which had a king huge flame gun/blowlamp torch pointing from the bottom up the middle of the drum. As the soil tumbled down to the bottom of the drum it would be a) weed seeds killed b) fungal spores virus/bacteria killed c) dried.
A nice pile of dry sterile soil formed at the low end of the drum, ready for mixing with peat/sand to produce potting compost.
Nowadays I believe they achieve the sterilisation process with steam .
--
Chris B (News)

Oh, quite, I agree absolutely; a big Sheen-type flame gun would be very useful for sterilising bulk compost in the way you describe. But that's not what is being considered here, where the OP was asking about killing weeds in situ. The technique is to walk slowly over the weedy area, waving the gun to and fro to wilt and collapse the weeds, which subsequently die.
I had one. Great fun to use, if a little hairy to start. It always seemed to go through a 'flame thrower' stage, with gouts of burning paraffin shooting out about 20ft before it settled down. I gave it up in favour of glyphosate. A mate of mine also had one. He managed to set fire to his neighbour's hedge.
--

Chris

I had a weed wand. It worked sort of. But then glyphosphate only kills existing weeds and breaks down on contact with soil. New seeds eventually arrive and grow. So either way repeat application is always necessary - filling leaking bucket syndrome.
--
bert

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 23:14:34 +0100, bert wrote:

elses

Not even singe. We have a gas "weed wand", you just need to wave it within a few inches of the foliage and the cell damage is enough to effectively kill that foliage.
This takes a day or so to become apparrant, no "instant gratification" that is so much a requirement these days.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:46:09 +0100, john west wrote:

Waste of time - it burns the green top off the weeds and leaves the roots to grow new growth again.
Glyphosate will be taken in by the leaves and translocate to the roots and kill those off as well. It'll last longer before they become an anoyance again.
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:46:09 +0100, john west

Hot air guns, flame guns, gas guns, whatever, work by killing the top growth of the weeds by rupturing the cells (it's not necessary to burn them to ash!). Some weeds will be killed right off, but deep rooted weeds will re-grow. You'd be much better off using something like Glyphosate, that works slowly and diffuses through the whole plant, roots and all, and kills it completely.
Do you know what the weeds are? If not, put some pictures on to an image-hosting site such as ImgBB https://imgbb.com/ with a link here and someone will identify them. For your sake I hope they're not Japanese knotweed.
--

Chris

Glyphosate will kill Japanese Knotweed but may need repeated applications.
I think the chemical was designed to kill Couch grass and is very effective on grasses. There are some weeds it doesn't touch but I can't find a list:-(
Dead Nettle?.....

--
Tim Lamb

On 15/09/17 18:45, Tim Lamb wrote:

It has problems with plants which have surfaces resistant to chemical penetration such as ivy, and to some extent holly, and horsetail - which has a surface covered with silica.
--

Jeff

Well they're dead already so there's no need! :-)
More seriously I find that a glyphosate + something else (longer term) weedkiller that I use on my gravel drive kills the grass almost immediately but 'broad leaved' weeds take quite a bit longer.
--
Chris Green
·

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 18:45:09 +0100, Tim Lamb

Advice on how to, here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid !8

There are a surprising number http://tinyurl.com/ycz35snm but I don't see dead nettle there. AIUI weeds that produce prolific amounts of seed are most likely to develop resistance, I presume on the basis that the more seeds there are, the greater the chance that amongst them will be some glyphosate-resistant ones.
--

Chris

I found lots of articles about acquired resistance but nothing about plants which ignore it. I suspect there are more about than Jeff's list but not ones that grow in my veg. patch.

--
Tim Lamb

Well if the length of the link is anything to go by, if nothing else it will collect a lot of metrics for google and others on who is looking at it.
Brian
--
----- -