How to cut UPVC trim lengthways?

I want to cut quite a few flexible angle trims lengthways to reduce their width. What is the best way to do this? Clamping between two lengths of 4x2" and then cutting the excess seems like the way to go but cut with what? A hot wire cutter would be good but I suspect it would be too feeble.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brendan.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Bandsaw.

Reply to
Capitol

Absolutely right to do the clamping as you propose.

Sanding disk on angle grinder, disk sander, jigsaw, circular saw, router, plane (manual or electric); file; rasp; hacksaw.

The problem with the power tools is is that the high sliding speed will tend to melt the plastic.

If there is not much material to remove, a "manual" tool may be best. If there is more than 5 mm or so then a saw of some sort might be best. Between say 2 mm and 5 mm I would go for abrasive (keeping the pressure down to avoid too much melting if using a power tool).

Reply to
newshound

+1 When I was cutting acrylic with a jig saw at slow speed there was some melting on the cut edges.

Hand cutting is the way to go with something like a very fine tooth floorboard saw

alan_m

A fine toothed blade in a circular saw used gently (to avoid overheating) from the bottom face?

Fine toothed panel saw used from the top face?

(I've used both to good effect).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

circular saw works nicely on PVC [always smells buttery to me while cutting]

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks all for the suggestions. A fine toothed saw is what I will try, thanks for the link.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

In message , Rednadnerb writes

Excellent. Not quite the same, but I have been cutting and trimming fairly thin Perspex type material, and a fine toothed hand saw made the job simple, if perhaps a little long winded. Delighted with the results, though.

Reply to
Graeme

Probably better off with

They also do upvc saws that work well but cost more

dennis