Using a PC microphone on a car head unit??

Hi All,

I have just bought a second hand Sony head unit which requires an external mic for Handsfree.

Having done some research, these use a ?mono? 2.5mm jack. I have a spare PC that came with a sound card back in the olden times, but this has a ?Stereo? 2.5mm Jack.

Does the team think this mic would work with the head unit? Either with or without an adapter?

(Compatible head unit mics can be had from the bay of the flea for less than £10, so it?s not a deal breaker if not).

TIA

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Try it!

Reply to
jon

Depends on whether the mic actually is mono and powered by the other ring on the jack, In these cases the microphones won't work. I guess its suck it and see, should do no harm.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Don't think any common mic has a separate power connection. They are what we called AB power, which arrived before phantom power, which is the norm with pro mics these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

'plugin power' mono microphones are popular, a 3-conductor 3.5mm jack is provided for them on laptops, soundcards & portable audio recorders (minidisc etc)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Microphones designed for automotive use have a fairly strong bass-cut to reduce the risk of them being saturated by subsonic noise which can reach very high levels, particularly when windows are slightly open. They usually achieve this with a two-port capsule with a damped tube on the rear port. Its all optimised for surface mounting with a directional response pointing in the direction of the driver. Other issues are the sound of raindrops impacting the windscreen and sensitivity to airflow from the windscreen demister.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Are you saying the third pin is used for power? Wonder why on earth - when you can power on just two.

I'd assumed a TRS mic only socket was stereo, and most mics mono wired to feed both inputs. If the device has stereo mic amps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Wonder why on earth - when

Standards, so many to choose from :)