Using a BBQ near an oil tank

How far away is considered 'safe'? Favourite site for the traditional charcoal BBQ is about six feet away from the domestic oil tank. Would that be safe or silly?

Reply to
News

Heating oil is pretty hard to ignite. I'm more worried about tinder dry fine material.

But I could not say of 6ft would make me nervous or not...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not too much tinder dry material in NE Scotland :-)

It doesn't make me nervous as such - just aware.

Reply to
News

Metal or plastic tank?

Reply to
Adrian

The elves will probably say there is no safe distance.

Once vapourised it will go or burn on a wick. It's far easier to light than diesel, petrol just don't go there...

Metal tank I'd not be worried at all at 6'. Plastic I'd be aware of a remote possibilty of it getting warm in a small area and possibly deforming. That would weaken the tank. So I'd either check the tank every so often (and be surprised to find a significantly warmer area) or have the windshield of the BBQ blocking any direct infrared path from BBQ to tank.

Is "traditional BBQ" the two halves of a 45 gallon oil drum end to end filled with 6" deep plus of burning charcoal or one of those little 18" diameter things?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That depends on what the terrain is like, ie is it flammable plants, or is there a clear area around the tank. I've seen people have them that close and with no problems. the danger time is when lighting it. I'm assuming its not a gas one.

On another note, I can always tell when its been a nice day, the fresh evening air makes you cough with all the burnt offerings being 'cooked' Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That is one thing we don't miss about living on a town estate. Any reasonable warm summers evening and out would come the BBQ's behind every second house, followed by reduced visibilty due to smoke and a horrendous stench.

At least the smell from the Foot & Mouth pyres 30 miles away back in

2001 was vaugely for roasting meat.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In a masterpiece of timing, my neighbour lit her BBQ yesterday pm (I was a bit worried when I saw the petrol can come out!) about 30s before a heavy shower with hail - BBQ lasted about another 30s!

Reply to
PeterC

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Nothing so exotic. Traditional as in charcoal, rather than modern, as in gas. Actually, we're using disposables at present, the old one having disintegrated at the end of last summer. The perils of a BBQ loving child in the family.

The plastic oil tank, 1300L, sits on a concrete slab, the slab being somewhat larger than the tank. The BBQ sits about 6 feet from the tank, and is never unattended, due to child and dog in the garden. I have never noticed the tank getting even slightly warm, so am not particularly concerned. It was fumes that were at the back of my mind, but that seems not to be a problem.

Thanks for all the comments.

Reply to
News

replying to Adrian, Bulldog wrote: Steel

Reply to
Bulldog

This subject really merits one of the classic articles in the vein of the Saniflo or building a canoe with expanding foam.

Reply to
Cynic

Not convinced about that.

Reply to
newshound

Not in Ambridge anyway

Reply to
Allan

Oil is not that flammable as it stands. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I'm sure Peter Parry could use his wordsmithing skills to produce an entertaining version of the barbecue tipping over, hot embers creating penetration of the plastic with escape of kerosene and resulting conflagration. Somehow allow the presence of a mother in law into the narrative?

Reply to
Cynic