Uses for strong (rare earth) magnets?

It's a bit heavy to carry in a pocket!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The destructions tell you to keep compasses a reasonable[1] distance away from it.

[1] Something like a couple of metres, I think - haven't currently got it to hand, so can't check
Reply to
Roger Mills

So that it rotates the generator when a car passes over? You'd need a busier road than mine for that to work!

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , "dennis@home" writes

I have a vision of a cyclist being held to the spot by your magnet :-(

Reply to
Bill

In message , Roger Mills wrote

Keep away from plastic cards with a magnetic strip, although chip and pin should be OK.

Reply to
Alan

Note to myself: Don't put my mag-stripe car park ticket in my shirt pocket next to my Blackberry. There is a magnet in the leather case. On two occasions up to now I have been delayed while it was sorted.

OK, I didn't have to pay, but that wasn't my intention.

Reply to
Graham.

To recover huge coins from the bottoms of drains.

Reply to
grimly4

I've still got one of those from my days as a narrow boater. Bought it for the kids to use for fishing for dropped sluice gate handles/keys around the canal lock gates. Amazing how many get dropped into the lock, the kids found enough to sell on and suplement their pocket money somewhat.

Reply to
DavidM

Iron coins? They'd be a bit rusty by now.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

All our 'coppers' have been copper-plated steel rather than bronze for ~20 years

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't know that. In fact my ignorance extends to our own currency (NZ) - I just discovered that our 10c, 20c and 50c coins have also been plated steel since July 2006. The $1 and $2 coins are aluminium-bronze.

Reply to
Gib Bogle