Usenet Legal Q

I know there are guys here pretty clued up on Usenet.

2 related Questions ....

I was looking for a UK specific Legal usenet group, the only one I could find was uk.legal and that seems to be just 100% SPAM Anybody know of a better group ? ... or how to find a full listing of groups.

The Q I want to put up is - I want to find out the best way to write to shareholders of a company, Companies house identified shareholders (16) of them, and their names but no address. It also furnished a Registered Company address ... although the company does not operate form there, and details of 2 solicitors offices. Ideally want to send 16 envelopes to a location, each with a stamp and shareholders name and have them forward to the shareholders .....

When we contacted one of the solicitors to ask for shareholders he advised send them to a 3rd party management company, who will deal with it, we are concerned the letters then will not reach the shareholders.

Reply to
rick

uk.legal.moderated was set up to replace uk.legal because of the spam.

A lot of companies have a separate registered company address, often a solicitor's office. Mail sent there can be treated as properly delivered to the company. It is also the address at which you can inspect the shareholder register, which will give you their addresses.

I doubt anybody will do that for you. You need to inspect the register, get the addresses and send the letters yourself.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

You could try uk.legal.moderated - the moderation keeps the Spam out but the most interesting discussions are in uk.net.news.moderation where we discuss how bad the moderation is in u.l.m :-)

Shareholders' addresses are not registered at Companies House - the company will have a shareholders' register but won't be able to release details to you. If it's a public company it will have a Secretary who might be a good contact point.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

uk.legal.moderated

Companies don't act as forwarding address agents for shareholders.

Shareholder address only appear on the register if they are subscribers, ie the initial shareholders at the dat eof formation, or if the shareholder is a director or person with significant control - in whcih case, an address for service is permitted, such as a solicitor's or agent's office.

If the person is a subscriber read the incorporation documents under the filing history.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Just to follow up on this the following gives some useful information:

Jeff Gaines

Am 04/01/2023 um 12:00 schrieb Colin Bignell:

But is has become an internal circlejerk for Goderators.

Don't expect proper legal advice over there. Good, valid questions are routinely goderated to oblivion.

Don't expect proper legal advice from professional solicitors either. They are mostly a bunch of twits. We used to have a good free legal advice in the good old days.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Some small points to add to the replies already made.

When asking for the members names and addresses you must give:

- your name and address

- the purpose for which the information will be used

- whether the information will be disclosed to others (and if so, who and for what)

The company can ask a court to agree it should not comply on the basis of what you say.

The company is entitled to charge a fee. I think it'd be £30 for 16.

AIUI the company is supposed to keep the register up to date for changes in members - including when shares are sold. This is separate and distinct from the requirements for directors.

Reply to
Robin

uk.legal.moderated ?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

There are actually some very knowledgable and helpful people there, even if the threads are allowed to wander a bit further than I would expect in a moderated newsgroup.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

If there are only 16 shareholders in total (you don't quite say this) then you may find their contact details have been listed at Companies House in the Filing History section.

In addition, the directors and company secretary may have provided their personal contact details in the People section.

It's now free to search the register at:

The newsgroup uk.legal.moderated is a good place to ask. It is tightly moderated and inaccurate posts from malcontents are rejected, who then complain about it in groups like this. However information you get there is not 100% guaranteed to be accurate.

Reply to
Pamela

It's not a public company its a Limited Company

15 shareholders 6 Directors, 2 of which are not shareholders.

There is a Registered Office and 2 listed solicitors.

Reply to
rick

That is very promising ... Thnx

Reply to
rick

Companies House Beta, their online service might give more information.

Reply to
Andrew

Why would they give free advice when they can charge for it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't know what you've done to upset them, but I find the moderation is if anything less than it should be. Not more.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Been using Companies house site to access filings, share issues, Director register etc. Not aware there was a Beta site. I just looked seems the same documents.

Reply to
rick

The name was

for several years, even though it was the live service, not really a beta verson, fairly recently it has become the much snappier named

Andy Burns

You must have annoyed one of the mods.

Reply to
Max Demian

Some people think it's good to share knowledge and help others.

Reply to
Rob Morley