USB PRINTERS

Has anyone had the problem with these USB printers like the C42, C44 or C46, that when you format your computer, and then install you printer, it tend to pick LPT for its output, when it should be the USB port, and trying to resolve it takes ages, and everytime I have to do a format, the same thing happen again and again. But if I format the drive, and take the ( backup )battery out of the computer, then replace it, set the time etc;, then put on windows, it find its USB port immediately like the first time. Friend, who have run computer for years, who have done computer engineering, still can't understand it, neither can I. I wish they still sold the old parallel port printers, they were easy to set up, every. The LPT! is used buy the scanner.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH USB PRINTERS ???

-- ========================================== I can only receive Plain Text, not HTML, I like it that way. I don't buy any items outside the UK. I'm not interested in any state lotteries from any country, if I've won just send the money, other wise "Go to hell" ============================= If your asking me to phone you, the phone does not allow 07??, 08??, & 09?? numbers to be dialled, THANK YOU ! =========================== If your a friend, you will respect me as a friend. =========================== I do not want a Business partnership, with anyone offering ??000000 million dollars $, especially from Africa or Holland, or connected to: . Not interested in any Business Partnership from any country, offering 1000 plus $ etc; ============================ And I do not wish to be directed to your Web-Page, to see you on Web-Camera, as most are dead ends. ===================== I GET MY MEDICINES FREE.....!.....Thanks

Reply to
West Midlands, UK.

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:10:32 GMT, "West Midlands, UK." strung together this:

No, I'm having problems with a brummy who keeps throwing his stupid 20 line sig after some garbled words. And pack it in with the capitals.

Reply to
Lurch

What the hell are you on about, and what kind of a sig is that??

Reply to
Grunff

typical windows-type problem - had same trouble a few weeks ago with a colleague's laptop (W98) that had decided to stop recognising his USB CD drive - uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Drive worked straight away on another (Win2K) machine. The USB printers on my office machine (Win2K) periodically "vanish" - though haven't had to do anything more drastic than re-boot ...

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Can't say I have noticed this problem...

Sounds like this is a ACPI / PnP aware BIOS issue. The port configuration (along with assignments for expansion cards etc) is stored by the PC in a battery backed part of the CMOS. If you re-install windows there is a fair chance that the configration of the peripheral devices will end up different from how it was.

You can probably get the same "clensing" effect by selecting the erase ESCD option in the BIOS screen.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , brugnospamsia writes

Try disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the relevant USB root hub properties.

Reply to
Philip Stokes

I find USB and Windows XP annoying. It seems to think that if you plug a device into a different hole, it is a completely different device. So, I unplug the printer, and plug it back in, I can't remember which of 8 holes it was in originally. Then it says "new device detected" and installs it onto yet another USB port. I end up with about 5 identical "printers" installed. Only one works, usually not the one that has been selected to be shared on the network. I gave up in the end and bought a USBWifi converter and don't let USB printers anywhere near a computer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've come across that with other USB devices. XP is brain-dead in this respect. This is definitely one area that Linux + CUPS print-server is infinitely more intelligent.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

One of our IT bods raised an issue the other day. I've not seen it myself, but it seems that in similar circumstances XP can cripple USB memory sticks (I know, that name is Sony specific, but you know the things I mean!) Not only does XP forget what the stick is, but something on the stick (TOC?) gets corrupted too!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:30:34 +0000, Andrew Chesters strung together this:

Sounds about right, and people wonder what I've got against that steaming pile of s**te.

Reply to
Lurch