Can I dye nylon?

I have a tent, made of white nylon. I'd like it to be green. Can I dye it with Dylon or suchlike? I'm not sure if dye will take to nylon...

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@BlackHoleOfCalcutta99.com (Rich) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Apparently (my partner knows her stuff on this) you can only get pastel/pale colours (at best) by dying nylon at home. Commercially, very special dyes and processes are used for this - no way achievable DIY.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Thanks for the replies. My other option would be to spray it with something.

The kind of ink used in marker pens seems to be capapble of writing indelibly on nylon, so perhaps a similar ink or liquid is available in a bottle?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Rich

It might be 'indelible' but it will creep out of nylon when wet. The dye is normally added when the fibres are drawn and so bonded it. There are polymer paints which would work but the tent would get heavier and not breathe as well.

Reply to
Mike

Heres your first port of call :-

like you may be successful

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You can dye Nylon, just like any other fabric, but I should add a bit more salt in the dying process as Nylon tend to repel more than other fabrics, also add about 3 to 6 table spoons of Bicarbonated soda, this will help to make it resistant more to fire, you can apply bicarbonated sode to any fabric to help make it more restant to fire, it an old remedy uesed years ago, back in 1950's, it still works. I use to added it to my overalls for work, especially on maintebnance where you could come into contact with fire.

Syd Birmingham, UK. ========================

Reply to
West Midlands, UK.