US introduces $60 LED light bulb

"A prize-winning light bulb that lasts for 20 years is going on sale in the US on Sunday - also known as Earth Day."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17788178
"Using LEDs endows the light with a long life and a hefty price tag."
They're not joking:
"The first versions are set to cost $60 (37)"
Who in their right mind will pay that? Idiots. Here's the kicker: 60 and 100W bulbs are banned, 40W will be banned in 2014. Will the price of the LED bulb come down to the price of indies by then?
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Most would measure the life of such things in hours. Since they aren't usually on 24/7.
FWIW I've got several incandescent lamps which are more than 20 years old.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Moved to our previous house in 1984 and there was a 150W clear incandescent in the garage, which looked as though it had been there for a while. Still going strong when we left in 2007.
[Not even bunny]

I've got some that have been in use for more than 40 years and I know when they went in because thats when I build the house.
Corse they dont get used much, in part of the house thats not used much at night at all.
Rod Speed wrote:

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE.
NEWSFLASH
"Unused lightbulbs still in working condition"
FFS
--
Adam

wrote

Bet his dont get used much either, fuckwit.
Rod Speed wrote:

If the lack of use is the criteria to longevity then your brain is immortal.
--
Adam

wrote

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead.
Get one to help you before posting again, if anyone is actually stupid enough to let you anywhere near one.
wrote

LOL There'ya go, Adam. Consider yourself reprimanded ;)
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

"It underwent18 months of testing".
So how do they know it will last 20 years?
--
Adam

The LEDs may last 20years, but the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply that drives them won't.
I'd be surprised if they did 10 years at the sort of temperatures they will be running at in a typical light fitting.
Andy.
On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:42:40 +0100, Andy Bartlett wrote:

Why not? I wouldn't expect them to fail early from heat-related problems. I've got plenty of stuff 30 years old or more still running happily with the original electrolytics.
cheers
Jules

In most designs you arrange it so electrolytics are not near hot components, so extending life.
In a lightbulb you don't have that luxury, everything gets hot - 60 or 70 degrees - maybe even more in the confined space of a 12W lightbulb where the electronics is in the uppermost part of the bulb.
Most of the premature failures in LED (and CFL) light bulbs is due to ......... electrolytics drying out and failing.
Andy

Indeed.
If there were any truth in that, most CFLs would fail by going flickery.
NT
On 22/04/2012 20:23, Jules Richardson wrote:

Bet it ain't got a switched mode PSU though ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

You've just lost that bet. Plenty of computer terminals etc were at that time.

There's a bit difference between a forced cooled PSU where space isn't an issue, and the base of a lamp the reverse is the case. Thought even you could see that.
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Few of them were force cooled.

But a hell of a lot less current.

I'm not too sure that is true for consumer products. The first SMPS I can across was in a BBC computer in 1983. The 10V ones used to dry out in about 5 years the sysmpton was that the starup of the BBC incresed to 1 hour or more.
checking upo here :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply#History

I have consumer SMPSs from that time that still work fine.

The Apple II didn't have that problem, I still have one that works fine. And they were available more than 5 years before tge BBC too.

Don't need to, I was doing it when they showed up.