Is This a Good Price ?

Yesterday I had a builder come and give me a price for gringing the old mortar out on the chimney stack then repointing and fixing my chimney bracket and my Amateur Radio antenna to it.

The chimney is shared with next door but they will not have there part done due to financial constraints. The size of the chimney is 2 bricks wide, 2.5 bricks long and 8 bricks high. My bracket is 13.5".

He has quoted me £150

What do the panel think please4

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

As it's likely to be £100 for turning up and £50 for doing the work, I'd be asking for a price for the lot, and chatting to the neighbour on that basis, or just accept that doing one side isn't going to be satisfactory, and swallow the extra few quid myself. If the builder says £300 to do both sides, then I'd be looking for another quote, as more than half the time is setting up to do the job.

Just a thought.

Reply to
John Williamson

Any idea what kind of loading your amateur radio antenna is going to transmit to the brickwork - whether pointed, half pointed or unpointed

- in, say, a 70kph gust of wind?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yesterday I had a builder come and give me a price for gringing the old

Sounds fair to me. Make sure he uses a strap right round the stack.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I would have thought that the loading is going to be minimal. It had a few years ago a 5 foot cranked pole with a 20 element TV aerial on top ot it, but I had that taken down. The antenna system to go back up is a chimney bracket, same as link below, to which will be attached a 4 foot pole at max and then ontop a 5 foot fibre glass vertical antenna with 3 short radials off the bottom of it.

a word with the insurance company and they are quite happy that it isgoing to be installed and have told me that I am covered as to damage of theantenna and in the unfortunate event of the chimney coming down.Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Seems reasonable enough to me. What would you expect to charge if you did the job?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

the_constructor :

While reading up to this point I was thinking what I would expect to be charged. I thought... about £150.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Just make sure it's not one of the many stacks that are only staying up out of habit and because they haven't got the energy to fall over.

Reply to
John Williamson

I got someone working on a house up the road to point my chimney prior to sticking a Ringo Ranger 2M colinear up.

£60-00 [No receipts] about 35 years back.

He'd long gone when I got up to fit the aerial. The old cement was untouched, and the new stuff painted on with a brush.

It did look good from the ground though!

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

In article , H. Neary scribeth thus

My dads father sent of for a novel fly trap years ago advertised in one of the halfpenny magazines around at the time, prolly 1930 odd.

In due course back cane a matchbox writ thereon was,

... "Catch 'em and kill 'em and put 'em in here!" ...

Reply to
tony sayer