UPvc windows

Just had a quote for double glazing.

1st quote was for a package including internal facias around the edges. the 2nd quote was for just sills leaving me to hire a plasterer to finish the vertical and top window edges.

I didn;t ask for the 2nd quote as means of minimisinf costs because I like the idea of doing away with the internal fascias.

Anybody else go down this road?

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Sort of I suppose, in that I fit my own windows (this is a diy newsgroup remember!!) therefore I choose for myself how to finish the window reveals. And no, I certainly wouldn't slap uPVC facias all over them.

There's normally not much damage to the plaster when the old windows are removed, so it's pretty straightforward to fill the holes/gaps with polyfilla/mastic. The real advantage of using uPVC facias is that it gives a neat, completed finish straight away, with no need for redecorating, so the installer can leave the property completely untrashed.

David

Reply to
Lobster

What are "internal fascias"?

No comprendo. You like the idea of getting rid f the "internal fascias" but did not get a price?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's just lengths of uPVC which are glued to the window reveal, butting up to the new window thereby covering up any gaps or damaged edges to the plaster left when the old frame is ripped out (Can be any width - 1" to 6"? depending on how much needs hiding). Saves the punters redecorating there and then after they've just blown 10K on new windows, so keeps them happy. Invariably gets slapped on over the top of any wallpaper, so causes problems next time that gets stripped for redecorating.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sht. I have seen this - it's the stuff that also parts company with what it's stuck to, and the window, and lets a howling gale through after a while.

Yje OP ought also to take heed of what someone else posted here a short while ago - that the D/G company wanted him to sign a waiver so that any damage caused by the fitting of the new windows, such as damage to internal/external brickwork etc., was not their responsibility. I'll have to look up what happened there, it's *very* dodgy signing that sort of thing.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I got two price quotations. 1st quote close to £4000 for windows plus internal fascias. And about £500 cheaper without fascias.

There was a slight amount of discouragement from the salesman on the sans fascias option. I suppose it will reduce his commission.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Hiring a plasterer will be expensive, then there's the repair of either emulsioned or papered wall surfaces. A diy/filler approach sounds fine if the gaps will be small, but in that case they will use narrow upvc profiles anyway.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

While not strictly 'On Topic' this may be of interest. I assume the contractors you are considering are FENSA approved. All this means is the hardware they are installing complies with Part L1 and N of the Building Regs and that a Building Inspector does not need to visit the property to confirm compliance. However, despite indications to contrary on the FENSA web site, FENSA approval does not signify the contractor will competently install the hardware as FENSA approval does not signify that the contractor is competent to do the work.

You may find this 'amazing', I certainly did. In my case my FENSA approved contractor left a front door leaking like a proverbial sieve as the door itself was bowed and the frame bent out of shape due to lack of adequate shimming. I reported the contractor to FENSA (in writing) and received the response that FENSA approval does not extend to installation! What this means is while the replacement windows and doors may meet the requirements with respect to thermal efficiency, this maybe completely negated due to air leakage if they are not competently installed and FENSA and through FENSA the ODPM are quite satisfied and will provide a 'Certificate' to that effect.

The interesting thing in this that if the same installation was carried out by a contractor that is not FENSA approved and a Building Inspect is required to inspect, the installation would not be approved unless the hardware was 'properly' installed and met the intent of the Regulations.

In my case the manufacturer of the door visited my property and corrected the appalling installation and observed that FENSA is nothing but a 'bad' joke. I agree.

My contractor? Newlite Conservatories Ltd, Bexhill on Sea FENSA registered as Creative Diversity. Don't go anywhere near these people as my experience suggests they have no concept of Customer Service, Quality Assurance or Quality Control.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

They're a really naff looking bodge to cover up for the fact that they can't be arsed to do the job neatly or properly. In most cases there should be very little gap to be filled around the new windows.

Just make sure you have room for the workers to tie up their horses.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thanks, Chris.