upvc frame welds problem?

Just had upvc windows fitted... fitters are finsihed and left... looking at various frames, there were what I thought was small dots of dirt in some of the corner welds, but when I couldn't wipe then off I got suspicious... got out a magnify glass and they seem to be actually small holes in the weld!... very thin and about 1-2mm long

for some reason, as far as I can see, they are restricted to the welds of the window opening lights rather than those the fixed frame itself, though I haven't inspected everything and it hard to see some of the welds on the outside.

So far I found them in about 4 window lights.... on some its just one or 2 minute holes ... on others there are several holes along the centre line of the weld.

How concerned should I be?

I haven't signed anything to say I'm happy with the job... and haven't paid the full amount yet... I'll obviously get the company back... (they're a reputable, small local company) but would like to know if these things are usual / acceptable beforehand...

Also ... anyone got a quick checklist of things I should inspect beforehand so that I can point out anything else when they come back.

thanks AJ

Reply to
nospammer999

Welds..???

Is that part of the fitting process or upvc windows ( I'm getting one fitted soon)..How do they do this /what do they use .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Stuart contains these words:

Yeah, the joins in the corners where one bit of plastic extrusion is mitred to another. How else do you think they join 'em?

Reply to
Guy King

Well I wouldn't be asking if I knew would I FFS.

Could be glue of some sort . I don't know.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

words:

I believe they use ultrasonics to weld the upvc.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Impossible to say without seeing these holes. Are the holes blind or do they penetrate the frame? If they penetrate the frame I would be concerned about water penetration and subsequent rusting of the steel reinforcing sections inside the upvc profiles. Things to check: does the 10 year guarantee include replacement if any of the steel reinforcing sections rust through the upvc (if this is a possibility); have all gaps between frames and masonry been filled and sealed; do the openers all open, close and lock correctly.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

The message from Stuart contains these words:

It's welded. The material is the same as the parent material surrounding it - can't remember whether it's hot-air or ultrasonic - perhaps different places do it different ways. Anyway - while it's hot it's supposed to be trimmed to give a neat slightly grooved join. Doesn't always come out perfectly - some are very slightly substandard, some gape like a landed fish.

Reply to
Guy King

Difficult to say if they are blind ... only seem to be on interior side of some of the opening windows - and too small to probe (think hair-width and couple of mm long along the exact centre line of the weld)... though they are black ... and I thought the weld would be white all the way thru?... unless they are some indentation mark left by the weld machine in manufacture ... I could try scraping ... but it didn't shift using a wooden cocktail stick... How thick is the material at the weld... could I scape more vigoursly without further damage to see if it is a hole or just an embedded mark...

I'll be calling them back anyway...

thanks AJ

Reply to
nospammer999