Upholstery Stain Protection

I've just forked out a not inconsiderable sum on a new three piece suite. The Salesman warned of my nigh on impending doom if I didn't get this Scothguarded or Stainmastered or somesuch for the princely sum of £270 for the whole suite.

Being a natural tight arse I declined his kind offers in this area, much to his chagrin.

Anyway, having Googled around a bit it appears that all these fabric protectors are some sort of Teflon based spray. So I was wondering if any of you kind hearted souls could answer me the following questions:

  1. Is £270 steep for this kind of work ? My gut feeling is it is. I kind of got the feeling that these stain protection treatments are viewed as a bit of a cash cow, much like those wonderful extended warranties that the Dixons Group seems so very fond of.

  1. Would it be feasible for me to Do it myself ?(Wahey, at least its an on topic post now) Bearing in mind that my DIY experience is mostly limited to flat pack furniture

  2. Assuming it is feasible to do it myself could any of you recommend the name of the product that would suit my needs and where I could obtain it from ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
DG

Steep!!!!! It's bloody disgusting! And I'm speaking as a carpet and upholstery cleaning pro of 13 years. I would charge around £100 depending on the combination of cushions. Did it include a 5 year guarantee against spills and stains? Anyway I use a fluorochemical Fabric Protector from Craftex Cleaning Systems of Taunton (01823 332696). I use the bulk product but it is also available in aerosol form CR59 400ml £3.00 per can + vat. I've never used cans but I would guess 3 or 4 cans should do it. Check the fabric first and if it is one of the faux leathers sometimes called Buffalo DO NOT USE SOLVENT BASED PRODUCTS on it. If you c*ck it up it is at your risk :-) Hope this helps and good luck!

Reply to
Dennis Wynes

[...]

Can't answer your questions really, but here's an indication of the kinds of margins involved: we recently bought a second hand car from a local dealer who tried to sell us "Platinum Protection". The pitch was all about filling-in microscopic flaws in the paintwork and then applying a "tough" layer. Inside they would do some Scotchguard or similar, and generally give the thing a valet.

"The retail price for this treatment is £399 sir, but we've a special offer on at the moment - you can have it for £299."

[I think this is right, it could have been £349 and £299]

"Ummm... no thanks."

"Quite right... look, all my boss is concerned about is that I sell a certain number of these treatments. What if I say you can have it for £99?"

"I'll think about it."

So, assuming that the £399 "retail" is really a tactic to get you to buy the £299 treatment, and that even at £99 they're not actually making a loss, that's a heck of a markup. I suspect that most of the cost will be labour, but a lackey at £5 or less an hour isn't going to take all day to polish the car, hoover and wipe down, is he?

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Thanks for the advice and product recommendation. £12 + vat for the cans has a nicer ring to it than £270.

I shall get in touch with you when my suite ends up resembling a Dalmation ;)

Reply to
DG

"Martin Angove" wrote | So, assuming that the £399 "retail" is really a tactic to get you to buy | the £299 treatment, and that even at £99 they're not actually making a | loss, that's a heck of a markup. I suspect that most of the cost will be | labour, but a lackey at £5 or less an hour isn't going to take all day | to polish the car, hoover and wipe down, is he?

Depends on whether the lacky is paid per hour or per car :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain