Upholstery for beginners

Now that we've retired my wife wants to try her hand at a bit of upholstery. Nothing big, not taking on any 3-piece suites or anything, but we do have a set of dining chairs with padded seat and back rest (open back with a 'bar' across the top sort of thing) that need recovering and she wants to give it a go.

Any recommendations for a kit of tools that a starter/hobbyist upholsterer would need? Better buying individual tools rather than a kit or not?

She's seen this kit on Amazon

but at £145 we don't know if that's good value or not, especially if she quickly loses interest or can't do it - and they're not the sort of things I'd use if she doesn't.

Reply to
Andy Smith

My initial reaction is that that looks like £30 worth of tools.

I am thinking of reupholstering our kitchen chairs, and the only tool I need is an electric staple gun.

Reply to
GB

All I used for a big sofa was some decent scissors, a sewing machine and most importantly and unpick tool.

If you are going to he hammering in tacks, a decent small claw hammer is a must and a metal 'spudger' for getting old ones out

Looks completely overkill apart from the hammer and the spudger - just get stuck in and it you find you need an extra tool just buy it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the OP takes the a look at the padded seat he will probably find that the fabric has been stapled. These days hammering in tacks is possibly only for antique restoration. For decorative tacks a small hammer with a nylon head is probably better.

+1

The wooden mallet would only be required to repair a wooden frame. For instance, glueing a mortice and tenon joint and banging it together, but possibly you would also need suitable clamps to keep it together while the glue dries.

From the 4 and 5 star reviews

The stretcher may be excess to requirements, as my upholstery course just uses a piece of wood as a stretcher.

The pincers were actually next to useless.

Shame that the apron is rather small and 'cheap'.

Reply to
alan_m

My late wife had a fairly heavy-duty staple gun for securing fabric to a wooden frame. The OP may get some idea as to what's needed from furniture repairs featured on 'The Repair Shop', although they don't come round that often.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

A bit late in the year perhaps, but do check if your Local Authority runs 'Evening Classes' which include upholstery.

My wife did such a course a few years back. She learned quite a few of 'tricks of the trade', and gained a clear idea of what tools were useful[1] and which were a waste of time & money.

[1] Beware, your own tool kit will be raided to supply several of these.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

When I first started doing upholstery, I used a proper tack hammer, the kind with a magnetic tip. I got pretty good at it, but I've decided that a good staple gun is faster and better for most of what I do.>

Reply to
S Viemeister

Most of those items will be unnecessary, for the job you have in mind, providing you already own basic tools.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq