Wife wants 540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen sheets?

Wife puts on the shopping list 540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen sheets.

I look it up where 540 is just the square root of the number of threads per inch (23 threads lengthwise per inch x 23 threads widthwise per inch).

What's a "good" number of threads per square inch anyway?

Then she says it must be American Pima. Looking that up, it seems Pima is an Andes Indian tribe that grew cotton. That cotton is a special cotton that grows in the USA apparently.

What's the difference between PIMA and Egyptian for example for sheets?

Last, she asks for sateen. Is that a mispelling of satin? Nope.

Looking that up, it's a way of "mercerizing" which is some kind of acid base wash that does something miracle like to cotton to make it soak up stains better.

Anyone know more about how to buy sheets than that lookup gave me?

Reply to
Logan MacEwens

On 8/25/2018 7:01 PM, Logan MacEwens wrote: ...

Just write the check is all you have to do... :)

Reply to
dpb

Don't you just combine the words in your title and then hope they're exactly the right color? "540 threads per inch pima cotton sateen sheets"

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That doesn't help as I'm trying to learn how to buy the sheets better. The wife doesn't have a clue why she wants what she wants.

The color is for a girl going off to college so the size is some kind of long twin but I have no control over that so I didn't ask that here.

The wifey asks for stuff but she doesn't know what she is asking for. She just knows that is what her friends tell her to buy for kids to school.

She did the same with "leaded crystal" where I asked why "leaded crystal" and all she could tell me is all her friends have leaded crystal.

I looked that up and it happens to be "clearer" but let's get back to pima cotton - 540 tpi - sateen

That URL you gave says "Pimacott. Experience luxury with the Wamsutta 500-Thread-Count PimaCott Sheet Set. Pure American PimaCott holds color better, fades less and the extra-long, dense fibers create ultrafine fabric that is smooth, luxurious, and amazingly soft."

That doesn't really tell me what "pima" means unles the fibers are "extra long" but what does an extra long fiber really mean?

Aren't the fibers the whole size of the sheet itself?

Reply to
Logan MacEwens

I do know that you should buy what she wants and you will sleep better. They sound like nice sheets though. Should be soft and smooth.

We also have jersey sheets that are quite comfortable and priced reasonable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Your wife is a fool for being a lemming. Does she plan to follow what everyone says the rest of her life? Do you plan to abide? Good luck.

Reply to
Meanie

Here is what that web site says.

There are three different species of cotton. The most common type is Upland cotton comprising nearly 90%. The remaining 10% is Egyptian cotton and pima cotton. Egyptian and pima cotton are "extra-long staple cottons". That's a term that refers to the length of the individual cotton fibers. These longer silkier fibers produce a luxuriously soft fabric. It's incredibly strong. It's resistant to fraying, tearing, pilling, wrinkling, and fading. Egyptian & pima cotton have the same scientific name gossypium barbadense. Pima cotton is primarily grown in the United States. Egyptian cotton thrives in the hot dry climate of the Nile River Valley. A recent test revealed 89% of cottons sold as Egyptian or pima aren't pure. Egyptian cotton is especially troublesome. Any cotton grown in Egypt can technically be labeled "Egyptian cotton". Anything labeled "100% cotton" is likely Upland cotton.

Reply to
Logan MacEwens

For a kid going to school you want good but cheap. I have a version of these on our beds and would be good for school

Ed Pawlowski

You're lucky she only wants sheets. My sil wants houses.

Reply to
micky

These truly are the best sheets ever...but according to SWMBO, Wamsutta no longer makes them.

Bed Bath and Beyond has something similar but they're not as nice.

Reply to
Dick Sheets

That is correct and mercerized cotton has been treated with caustic to improve strength and shrinkage.

The higher thread count means that the yarn used is finer and sheets will feel softer.

Reply to
Frank

I had a roommate who got eye makeup all over her sheet. Unfortunately she'd borrowed the sheet from me.

The compansation was that she became a Playboy bunny so I could tell everyone I roomed with a Playboy bunny.

Reply to
micky

You're female? Well, that explains a lot. A helluva lot.

Reply to
rbowman

How did you come to that conclusion? Some guys have female roomies.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why would any sane guy put up with a female roomie unless he had frequent benefits?

Reply to
John Blutarsky

I suppose... I had one once but if there was any makeup on the sheets I helped her put it there.

Reply to
rbowman

Dick Sheets posted for all of us...

I like the sheets from of all places; LL Bean.

Reply to
Tekkie®