Deteriorating decals

I have a circa 1950, Smith Miller Mobil Tanker" truck. Here's are "before" photos of the truck:

s-truck-tanker

I have:

used a paint-stripper to remove the original paint.

sanded the wooden body to a smooth surface.

applied an undercoat.

applied several coats of Rust-Oleum "Painter?s Touch" "Ultra Cover" Multi-Purpose Brush-On Premium Latex paint.

applied the decals.

but the decals are now chipping off and there looks like air bubbles under the decals.

What did I do wrong?

Reply to
condo owner

How long did you wait to apply the decals? The pant may have been dry to the touch but not fully cured.

I'd wait a week after stripping to paint, then at least a week, maybe two to apply the decals.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a circa 1950, "Smith Miller Mobil Tanker" truck. Here's are "before " photos of the truck:

as-truck-tanker

I have:

used a paint-stripper to remove the original paint. sanded the wooden body to a smooth surface. applied an undercoat. applied several coats of Rust-Oleum "Painter?s Touch" "Ultra Cover" Multi-Purpose Brush-On Premium Latex paint. applied the decals.

The decals are now chipping off and there looks like air bubbles under the decals.

What did I do wrong?

Reply to
condo owner

I'll strip off all the paint and start all over, giving the undercoat and the paint adequate time to dry between each coat.

Reply to
condo owner

I'm NOT a collector and will NOT sell it to a collector!

Reply to
condo owner

Probably well cured now. A good sanding may be all you need, then paint.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Should I be using a different undercoat and/or paint?

Reply to
condo owner

condo owner posted for all of us...

Bed-liner?