Reid Smith

Has anyone seen a post by Reid Smith of Huntsville, Ala? Maybe you have exchanged email with him. I would like to contact him but can't find a connection anywhere with infinite google searches. He had a top tip in Wood Magazine from 2009 for a router attachment to catch all the mess (or a lot of it anyway) when routing dovetails using a dovetail jig. I want to make this attachment but have a question for him. Maybe one of you have made this and I could ask you.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Yes, I sent an email to the magazine. I also tried the White Pages application on my iPhone and did find a possible hit. I hate to call someone who does not know me without first trying an email contact. With caller id is is too easy to ignore a call. When I tried google with the name in quotes so I didn't get every Reid and every Smith I got one hit - that was the article in Wood Magazine. If I can't find an email in the next couple of days I will try a call. Nothing to lose at that point.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

On 1/8/2014 8:27 AM, Dick Snyder wrote: ...

Ask them to pass on the question to the author and include your contact info if he's interested in following up. Don't just ask them for his contact info--highly unlikely they'll give that up.

Reply to
dpb

Or, probably more quicker, describe the project and the problem here and you'll undoubtedly get suggestions...even better if there's a link to or some way to provide real details on the project more than simply a verbal description unless that can be made very precise.

Reply to
dpb

Did your online search include Pinterest?

Reply to
athiker

xchanged email with him. I would like to contact him but can't find a conne ction anywhere with infinite google searches. He had a top tip in Wood Maga zine from 2009 for a router attachment to catch all the mess (or a lot of i t anyway) when routing dovetails using a dovetail jig. I want to make this attachment but have a question for him. Maybe one of you have made this and I could ask you.

I Googled "Reid Smith Dust Collection", which led me to the below leads:

Here's a pic of Smitty, should Facebook have his pic on his site:

This may be the same Smitty who participated on the AOL boards, long ago... . very knowledgeable, if so.

If you Google Smitty49, you'll get lots of hits, one on Twitter.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

yone seen a post by Reid Smith of Huntsville, Ala? Maybe you have exchanged email with him. I would like to contact him but can't find a connection an ywhere with infinite google searches. He had a top tip in Wood Magazine fro m 2009 for a router attachment to catch all the mess (or a lot of it anyway ) when routing dovetails using a dovetail jig. I want to make this attachme nt but have a question for him. Maybe one of you have made this and I could ask you. I Googled "Reid Smith Dust Collection", which led me to the below leads: Here's a pic of Smitty, should Facebook have his pic on his site: h ttp://

This may be the s ame Smitty who participated on the AOL boards, long ago.... very knowledgea ble, if so. If you Google Smitty49, you'll get lots of hits, one on Twitter . Sonny

Additionally:

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Additionally:

Sonny

Got what I was looking for!! I could never find an email address for him but when I tried the link to

above in your reply I saw a post by him of the exact thing I want to make (the router attachment to catch mess from doing blind dovetails). His article in Wood Magazine talked about how he constructed this device. I could not figure out how he connected his Shop Vac to the device. On the website you told me about was a clear picture of how he did it (a jam fit) so I don't need to contact him now. I will go in a slightly different direction but my question is fully answered. Thanks very much Sonny,

BTW, here is a link to what he did that I am trying to copy:

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

In my reply to Sonny, I posted the link to what I want to make. My question was how did he attach his Shop Vac hose to the device but now I know after seeing a clear picture that Reid had posted on a website.

Here is the link to the thing I want to make:

Dick Snyder

You're welcome.

Reid may have an AOL address - Smitty49 at aol dot com, if he is the same Smitty who participated on those boards, back then. Give it a try, see if it works, and thank him, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I tried that email address yesterday Sonny but the email bounced back to me - no such address. My last chance to contact him will be Wood Magazine

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Or post a comment on his Photobucket site. That might get a quicker response.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Not sure how to do that. Do I need to make an account on photobucket?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Probably so.

Another option is to take a chance with other email addresses: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Well, the Hotmail and Yahoo bounced but not the gmail so far. Maybe I will get lucky..........

I'll let you know.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

G mail sometimes send an email to what it thinks is the apropos address, guess it is easier than bouncing an undeliverable address.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I am officially giving up on this quest. I heard back from Wood Magazine. They were able to answer the question I had intended to ask Reid Smith myself (and which I was able to answer once Sonny pointed out a website where Reid Smith had posted a picture of the device to catch wood chips from a router using a dovetail jig --

)

I have completed the device that Reid Smith invented (I posted a link to the design published in Wood Magazine earlier in this thread). I will do a separate posting in a week or two once I have some real experience with it. Thanks to all who tried to help me find Reid. The good news is that I was able to figure out my question regarding the attachment of the Shop Vac hose to the chip collector but the bad news is that I have no way to thank Reid Smith.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I know, probably too little too late but maybe this will work.

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com

From what I believe to be his web site.

Which I got when I went to the link you posted.

And left clicked smitty49 above his picture to open a box that allowed me to go to his web page.....

Reply to
Leon

I recognize a couple of those car pictures on the

website. I just sent an email to snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com. We will see what happens..............

Thanks for the detective work.

Dick

Reply to