Follow up to Reid Smith posting - success using his router attachment for doing dovetails

A few weeks ago I put up a posting with the subject "Reid Smith". I was trying to communicate with the author of a clever woodworking router attachment I read about in Wood Magazine about 5 years ago. The purpose of the attachment is to suck up most of the wood chips that are thrown about when you are routing dovetails using a dovetail jig. I was trying to find him so I could ask a question about how to attach the 2 " Shop Vac hose to the attachment he designed. I was never able to find an email for him but Sonny found a picture of what he had done which answered my question:

Reid had made the entire thing out of Lexan but in the tip he submitted for Wood Magazine, he changed the design a little:

I made one the way that I saw in Wood magazine. Even though I could never communicate with Reid directly I said I would do a posting to let you know how the attachment worked. In three words "it worked great". All the chunky chips were gathered up by the attachment and Shop Vac. There is still a small amount of saw dust on the floor because the router is throwing stuff everywhere and it all can't sucked up. I can recommend this attachment to anyone who minds their body and shop floor being covered with debris after routing dovetails. Norm never seemed to mind but he didn't have to clean his shop after the taping of one of his shows!

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

When I made this posting I forgot to mention one important thing if anyone wants to make this attachment. I use a standard dovetail bit which has to be fit in the center of the router base plate using a standard template guide. That means that there needs to be a 1 1/8" hole in the base plate and a 1

3/8" shoulder on the hole to let you recess the edge of the template guide.

DAMHIKT

Reply to
Dick Snyder