Unwarp a warped door?

Hi all.

I put a B&Q cheapie door in our bathroom a few weeks ago. It's one that has two glass panels in it's top half.

Before I installed it it was left on the landing next to the bathroom for a few weeks, unwrapped, to try and let it acclimatise. However, it's still warped somewhat. The top lockside of the door bends in to the bathroom by about two inches.

I could just adjust the trim on the doorframe to match, but I'd like to know if I can (easily and inexpensively of course!) straighten the door first.

All ideas gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Trim 2 inches off the door frame! Really? I had a similar problem with a Wickes cheapie "victorian, it's about 10 mm out but will pull in and close. I hoped that keeping it closed would encourage it back to shape, but no change.

Reply to
Newshound

News Hound, Change it of get your money back.

Reply to
MikeS

The only thing I can think of is to take it down, dampen it, then place it on a flat surface, weight it down well and leave it to dry out thoroughly.

If you're lucky the dampness will soften the wood enough for the weights to force it flat after which you can paint/varnish/wax it to prevent it getting damp again.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

I put mine in a place that had had the de-humidifier drying the air and it fixed the problem. But the problem was nearer 2mm than 2 inch.

I think your supposed to paint/varnish the door as soon as its unwrapped to prevent warping or expanding too big for the frame. Plenty of people around here will say take it back for refund. If you do, obviously dont mention you left it to "acclimatise".

Reply to
Zip 1

I'd say no. Take it back for a refund. They're usually made in such a way as they shouldn't warp under normal circumstances.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The chippy who fitted the pedestrian door to my garage removed about 15mm of warp at the top by sticking wedges in at the bottom when the door was closed. It took a few weeks though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I tried this with one of my original doors which I didn't want to change. Removed the paint and soaked it in water, then let it dry under tension. Some success, but not perfect. As it's one of two into a now through lounge, I swapped it for the other door, then locked it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These doors warp if they get damp. Full stop. They're designed to go to 12% moisture (and have been taken to 18% in the lab) without warping - and that's not very damp at all. If you've been using the bath or shower, the air on the corridor side of the door may have reached 20%+. There's no known cure. In short, immediately paint 'em on 6 sides (like it says on the instructions!), or they warp!

Steve Almond

Reply to
S Almond

Yes if it's of traditional construction. But these days it's often cheaper to make the door out of 'plywood' or blockboard with a plain veneer rather than solid timber which will be far less susceptible to warping.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)