Universal replacement seals for chest freezer doors?

Having been told that my mum's Kelvinator freezer is considered obsolete (just because it's still got mammoth steaks somewhere near the bottom of it :-)) I've been looking for some sort of universal replacement. Surprisingly I can't find one among CPC and a couple of appliance spares places I've tried. Any clues? Can't be that much rocket science to make, surely. Or any suggestions for where to get suitable material to DIY? Just needs to be about 25mm wide, about 10mm thick, resilient down to below freezing and non-absorbent. Probably a bit too big for draught excluder material.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The message from John Stumbles contains these words:

There was a bloke on here some years ago who claimed to be able to provide new seals for just about any chest freezer. Unfortunately it turned out that he couldn't provide one for my Electrolux which has a seal integral with the lid. Several (many perhaps) years latter and I still haven't done anything about it but ISTR that there were some suggestions made in this ng about how to fix it. Unfortunately I can't recall the slightest detail but a google might bring that thread to light.

Reply to
Roger

Do try phoning CPC. Most of their white goods spares are not online, and even when you do know the order code, they're no longer orderable online, only by phone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I did phone them :-(

Reply to
John Stumbles

You can buy replacement door seals for a handfull of more modern ones here and cut a length out to replace just say the bottom. But it's certainly not cheap given a full size fridge or freezer starts at about £100.

It's likely an old Kelvinator will be using a lot of energy (certainly will with a bad door seal) maybe time for a new one.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

CPC used to do this product, it included some corner reinforcement inserts.

I have had sucess /repairing/ a door seal using a multi-resin sealant like CT101 (FT101 from screwfix). The cat had torn the seal to strips just for the hell of it. I put polythene on the freezer side of the seal and injected the sealant into and around the fragments of seal and left the door closed for a few hours. Works a treat.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Reply to
misterroy