Undercabinet fluorescents

Anyone recommend a brand/supplier for under cupboard fluorescent lights for a kitchen?

I'm tired of the short lifetime and expense of tubular filament lamps, and I suppose there's (debateably) an energy saving argument. Plus, one of the existing lamps has melted its diffuser, so needs replacing anyway.

What bout this guy;

Huge

>> --

I put some of these in about two weeks ago, so far very pleased, no flicker instant on. But as for long term reliability it's a bit soon to comment!

Peter Andrews

but... beware of 4000k tubes dont overlook the option of using a single full length T8 tube on dimmable ballast

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This is an expensive solution, but I'm looking at the DimSlim and SlimLite ranges from Mr Resistor:

dom

In article , Peter Andrews writes

like the colour temperature in particular. Tube life wasn't brilliant though.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I used a 5' standard fitting from Wickes, £10.

Reply to
brass monkey

> ng/index.html

I got some of the TLC ones a few years ago. They still work - no tubes have needed replacement. (Does that say something about how much time we spend cooking?) Nice colour. No flicker. Instant start at close to full brightness.

Reply to
Rod

Rod coughed up some electrons that declared:

>> ng/index.html

While we're on the subject, has anyone got experience of GX53 CFL lamps? The fittings look fairly neat, but how long do they last compared to a strip?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

>> no, but...

Not an option, given the design of the kitchen, I'm afraid. And dimming is not required.

Reply to
Huge

>> I used a 5' standard fitting from Wickes, £10.

Do they still work after having been sawn into 3 or 4 pieces to fit?

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Huge

We have LED Rope Lights behind the pelmet on our cupboards. There are loads of places sell them. Just White LED's in clear tube held with round cable clips. Looks really good and the running costs are low.

Like these

but we got cheaper ones from Bite and Chew.

Reply to
BigWallop

Only an moron would try to debate the energy savings flourescents give over incadesants, at a base level its 75% for a warm white flourescent which is what a kitchen needs. You can go to 110 LPW. Stick with a name brand units and warm white bulbs.

Reply to
ransley

And don't make a mess with the flour! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Uh huh, so you don't know what you're talking about then, eh?

Reply to
Steve Firth

But I will debate the appropriateness of "warm white". Earlier in this thread I said that the TLC slim linkables were good - and I wrote that partly because they have a colour temperature of (IIRC) 3400. IMHO, standard warm white (2700) is horrible for cooking.

And can I please carry on using tubes rather than "bulbs"?

Reply to
Rod

you can't usually see underneath the cupboards why not make up your own? You buy the correct length tubes, terry clips to hold them, moulded end caps with leads, and ballasts. Go for electronic ballasts and decent colour tubes to match the other lighting. They are easily concealed behind a plinth or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Extruded tubular glass mineral envelopes = tubes (fluorescent) Blown glass pear envelopes = bulbs (GLS) Tube cut heat sealed glass gas filled envelopes = small halogen lamps

Get it right, everyone. Get it right. :-) lol

Reply to
BigWallop

Since you've snipped the context you need reminding that incandescent strip lights are about the least efficient of lamps ever as well as having a poor life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When a full length T8 tube is used I can assure you it is :) Many kitchens need 2, one under each set of cupboards.

NT

Reply to
meow2222