Ultrasonic cleaners

Are they worth having?

I'm speaking of ones like:

The fact that it loks like a toilet is obviously a bonus. It would be almost worth it to have dentures just to be able to put them in a cleaner that looks like a toilet.

Can ultrasonic cleaning damage things? I can see that dunking Grandpa's

1959 Omega Constellation in there is probably not the right way to go.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1hx4w8w.1fdtas21yv7169N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

I've used them in the labs I used to work in, and those (300quid at the time) work magnificently. Mainly used at work to assist the dissolution of things that were reluctant to dissolve. But took in loads of car bits etc for cleaning. Greatly assisted by getting the right solvent for the thing you are cleaning.

Reply to
visionset

Perhaps the £17.99 one I mentioned won't be quite so magnificent.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Couldn't say. Perhaps it is the case that volume production for a domestic market coupled with improved production efficiencies have made them cheaper. Certainly the ones I used will have had higher quality casings but the untrasonic element may very well be just as effective. Alternatively it may be about as much use as wrapping tissue around a comb and blowing at it. Not helping much am I?

Reply to
visionset

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1hx4w8w.1fdtas21yv7169N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

A good test for the effectiveness of the ultrasound is to dangle a bit of aluminium foil in the liquid, then see how perforated it gets.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Not really Daniele

I have a larger tank type with heater and drop in baskets. For them to be effective, the water generally needs to be quite warm to hot and obviously the container large enough for requirements.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We've got one similar to that - I think Aldi were selling them for £15 at the time. Great for jewelery, glasses and small stuff. I've used it to clean up bits of dive equipment (regulators, etc.)

No-where near as powerful as "lab quality" ones but for the price...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Certain gemstones are not recommended for them afaik (tanzanite etc)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Perhaps that's the reason for yesterday's disappointing discovery that Kryptonite may be a boring white rather than the green that we know it to be....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, they're great and now they're under 20 quid.

A cheap one now works as well as an expensive one used to (for practical sizes). The limit now is in their working lifetime. because the new cheap transducers do have a finite lifetime.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bought one very similar to that from Maplin. I normally use it for my hobby of electronics, to clean circuit boards. However, my wife dropped her digital camera into a dirty stream last year and it was complaining about flat batteries and the view finder was clouded somewhat.

I took off the back face of the camera and dropped it into the ultrasonic bath for a few sessions of cleaning. Rotating it after each session. I used tap water and a drop or two of Fairy washing up liquid. I asked on here about doing this, as the camera was either a total loss, or it could be recovered. After a good dry out, I am pleased to say that everything looks fine and that it is back in everyday use again.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, quite good actually. I've got a commercial Sonicor one and a similar one to the CPC one. The smaller one isn't as quick but the performance is good and there certainly isn't a twentyfold difference in performance even if there was in price. The price of the commercial units is a function of low volume and a price insensitive market rather than performance and build quality.

Beware of cleaning jewellery though - they can loosen the mounting of some stones.

Reply to
Peter Parry