Ultra-wide Protective Footwear

A) I want some protective footwear - to stop toes getting hurt by angle grinders, nails-in-bits-of-wood and dropped bricks.

B) My feet are very unusually shaped and I need HH+ width and have a very high instep.

I get my shoes from Cosyfeet - who do not do protective shoes.

Not looking for any special style - maybe a trainer-style would be most comfortable? But I don't seem to be able to find any.

Any suggestions for suppliers?

(Note: Intentionally applying angle grinder to feet to reduce width is

*NOT* an option. :-) )
Reply to
Rod

I have the same problem. Buying commercially made shoes is impossible.

Same with Simpleway.

I have used steel-capped wellingtons, a couple of sizes too big. They can be cut down.

Or of course you could always get some hand made to your spec. I tried that once for ordinary shoes, they were VERY expensive. Spouse makes most of mine but they don't offer any protection, being made from soft vegetable tanned leather.

I have looked at the little toe side of my feet and wondered if I could do without it ... I also considered branch loppers for my hammer toes but eventually had them strightened (not 100% successfully) by the NHS.

Nobody realises what a problem it is. Size EEEE is useless!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Okaaaay - possibly not quite the style you were looking for, but ebay.com (the US site) has a few hits for very wide boots - though mostly cowboy boots(!):

add +1 to your UK shoe size to get the equivalent US size (widths are the same I believe).

You might email 1 or 2 of the suppliers to see if they do safety shoes/ boots - I'd be surprised if there isn't a supplier somewhere in the "the big country".

Another option might be military boots suppliers (e.g

London).

Reply to
dom

I have pes cavus (high arch), extreme width (across the toes/forefoot), relatively narrow heel, and toes that are almost prehensile! Tendency to slightly drop feet and to both stand and walk with feet at approx. 90 degrees to each other. Recent research suggests to me that there could be a minor (probbaly congenital) neurological problem - not quite Charcot-Marie-Tooth but close. In truth, I could possibly get shoes to accommodate one fo these problems - but nothing I have found manages all of them.

I too have had shoes made - but unsuccessfully. Somehow they just did not feel right. So I usually stick with Cosyfeet and various inserts.

Reply to
Rod

in London).

Unfortunately, the steel protected ones there are only EE. I did do quite a search of US suppliers - and, though i didn't find suitable, I felt sure that they would be available somewhere. But by the time I take into account the difficulty/expense of returns, I decided to avoid. I really need either a shop to visit or an easy return policy.

On the miltary front, I think I might have been one of those rejected with the opposite of flat feet!

Thanks.

Reply to
Rod

Check out the work boot here with clog sole:

Derby boots here:

for made to measure though!

Reply to
dom

Funnily enough, I did try some clogs (Swedish style) many years ago. They seemed to have some promise but, in reality, I couldn't take the pressure at the top of my arch (on the top of my foot).

And my feet might be valuable, but £264 is more than I can justify for relatively occaisonal wear.

(Sure you're not Bill Tidy posting under a pseudonym?)

Reply to
Rod

I have a higher than normal arch and am currently waering Sterling brand Safety Trainers (Screwfix 37220). My shoe size is 6.5 to 7 and the size

7 of these seems to have plenty of room inside. They are also available from TLC. You might be able to go into one of these places and try them on.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

That's your instep.

The last time I wore clogs was during the war and fell down the stone cellar steps going with a bucket to get coal. Still have the scar.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

make some MDF clogs/galoshes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hows the cellar? Not permanently marked I hope?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My foot is somewhere towards this:

But my toes are little affected - just very good at pushing down onto the ground and curling up!

The clawing of the foot makes it effectively short (i.e. shorter than it would be if streteched out like a 'normal' foot) and this emphasises the width. But I could walk around all day on my toes. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Me too. It stops the chaffing of the inner thigh.

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

Are you sure you aren't a duck?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gosh. And there was me thinking it was just the elbows..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Definitely not - I am crap at swimming as well. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Eee, thee were lucky. Bucket *and* coal during wartime. :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Arco are probably one of the largest H&S suppliers, and have a good branch network.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have had a good look round their site (today and previously) but cannot see anything in a sufficiently wide fitting. But I have emailed them in case I have missed them.

Thanks - we shall see.

Reply to
Rod

You're a shorty too!