ukworkshop.co.uk

Strange experience. I have been a member of ukworkshop.co.uk for some time, chuntering on about woodwork etc with some knowledgable folks (and some less so). But the group has got more and more "moderated" to the point where posts are edited/deleted or threads locked, on a daily basis. Dissent or disagreement is less and less tolerated and gets interpreted as "personal attack" etc. Several people have left, and I decided it was time for me to go too - after a trivial series of tickings off from the bad tempered moderators. So I posted up a last message with an explanation (not offensive or anything) and guess what - it got immediately deleted! So I've left, but nobody on the group knows this - I've been dissappeared. Stalinist, or what! There is one particular arrogant apparatchik who seems to lead the intolerant pack, and who obviously is on some sort of ego trip and takes pleasure in people giving up in disgust. Pity really, as otherwise it was an interesting group. Anybody else here had this experience?

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Yeah,

I got moderated too for absolutely nothing by the utterly irritating 'Newbie Neil' He accused me of a personal attack although even the guy I had allegedly attacked said it was idiotic.

I read the forum now and occasionally learn something but I find the moderators to be arrogant and over sensitive to the point where I rarely bother to post.

Most of the content bugs me too, with people seemingly over analysing everything to the point where all they do is design and think and never actually make anything.

Anyway, rant over, the place has lost the plot and will hopefully sort itself out.

Cheers Mike

Reply to
mike

Not specifically with this group but such behaviour is quite common. It is very similar to the group huddled in *their* corner of the bar, holding *their* glasses and glaring at any with the temerity to approach them.

When they get in a position to actually control the situation, others are lost. Only those they acknowledge as superior to them will be accepted.

Standard places to find them:

Pubs Camera clubs. Radio amateurs. and on and on. :))

Reply to
EricP

Oh good not just me then I was beginning to feel a bit paranoid. That makes 2 utterly irritating arrogant apparatchiks by the way - I had another in mind!

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

|!Strange experience. |!I have been a member of ukworkshop.co.uk for some time, chuntering on |!about woodwork etc with some knowledgable folks (and some less so). |!But the group has got more and more "moderated" to the point where |!posts are edited/deleted or threads locked, on a daily basis. |!Dissent or disagreement is less and less tolerated and gets |!interpreted as "personal attack" etc. |!Several people have left, and I decided it was time for me to go too - |!after a trivial series of tickings off from the bad tempered |!moderators. |!So I posted up a last message with an explanation (not offensive or |!anything) and guess what - it got immediately deleted! |!So I've left, but nobody on the group knows this - I've been |!dissappeared. Stalinist, or what! |!There is one particular arrogant apparatchik who seems to lead the |!intolerant pack, and who obviously is on some sort of ego trip and |!takes pleasure in people giving up in disgust. |!Pity really, as otherwise it was an interesting group. |!Anybody else here had this experience?

That is yet another problem with web based forums. Apart having different interfaces, having to log into each one individually, etc.

Welcome to usenet and uk.d-i-y where *nothing* is moderated and I can download the latest posts on 25 newsgroups with a couple of clicks.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Unfortunately there are some very good ones with no usenet equivalent

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Does that mean I can use the "C" word? I feel like a newly released gulag prisoner.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Of course. Everyone will add you to their killfile if you do, obviously.

;-)

Reply to
John E

In article , EricP writes

Worlds worst for doing that;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

You can say "Chisel" to your hearts content, but please also say "Cement" occasionally to avoid controversy with the moderators.

Thank you.

Reply to
EricP

BAD BOY! Go wash your mouth out with inhibitor.

Reply to
Ian White

Reply to
Tim Downie